cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating BE from one system to another

Joji
Level 5

I have successfully copied all jobs from old to new server and merged the catalogs. 

Is there a command to copy my media sets and media locations from the old to the new server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Hi Joji,

You moved your catalogs to a new machine, but you did not move the database too? Was that intentional? If you move the database and job histories, then you will have the media information as well since it is stored in the database. I have a blog that covers doing just this. Take a look and let us know if you still need input, or if that will solve your issue.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-install-blog-upgrades

If you did not move it, but just want media information, I would like to understand why you are doing the selective move. What is the reason for not moving all of your data?

Thanks,
Nick

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Idimple
Level 4

Hello,

Please check out the below document,It might help you,

How to migrate (move) Backup Exec from one system to another with the same version of BE, Windows and same or different computer names.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

As you have already merged your catalog you can probably just copy the configuraation of backup exec referrig the following document

How to copy media server configuration to a file and apply the copied media server configuration.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37072

Joji
Level 5

Thank you RahulG! This is very helpful!

Joji
Level 5

RahulG: I ran into a problem: I followed the steps to create the config file. Step 5: Browse/Enter the desired location of the configuration file and click OK.  I navigated to the desktop to save the file there. I named the file ConfigFiles022012. After I clicked OK the job started and saw finished 100%. But when I checked my desktop, the file was not there. I ran the utility/job couple of times and got the same results. I tried a different location and got the same results. Also, is it normal that the BE services were all stopped during this process?

Thanks.

Joji
Level 5

Also I noticed that there are 2 Copy Media Server Configuration option when I right the BE media server. I used both but got the same results.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Is there any Error generated in the event log ?

Can you check the following Go to Tools -> License Keys and Installations

Go through the wizard until you get to a list of options to install
Install "Copy Server Configurations" and complete the wizard. Then try to copy the configuration again .

Joji
Level 5

Yes. Please see below:

Source: BEDBG

Process beserver.exe requested memory dump but the maximum number of memory dumps has already been reached.

Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error

Faulting application beserver.exe, version 13.0.5204.122, stamp 4eecd3d2, faulting module beserver.exe, version 13.0.5204.122, stamp 4eecd3d2, debug? 0, fault address 0x0049c2e0.

I went through the wizard. The "Copy Server Configurations" is grayed out but has a check mark on it. I also did a "repair" using the installation CD.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

BE2010 uses .netframework 3.5 SP1, try repairing .netframework

1. Run a repair of .NET Framework 3.5 and attempt to restart the Backup Exec Server service.
  2. If the issue persists, uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 and all related updates.  
  3. Reboot the Media Server.
  4. Reinstall .NET Framework 3.5 and apply the following  available updates update 

Joji
Level 5

RahulG: unfortunately repairing, uninstallling and reinstalling .NET Framework 3.5 did not fix the problem. frown

Do you have other suggestions?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You should proabaly log a support case for the same> I had seen the similar isssue in the past and it was resolved by uninstalling all the version of >net framework and then reinstalling it .

Joji
Level 5

Thanks RahulG. I did open a support case last week. It's been more than 5 days and they do not have any resolutions for me.

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Hi Joji,

You moved your catalogs to a new machine, but you did not move the database too? Was that intentional? If you move the database and job histories, then you will have the media information as well since it is stored in the database. I have a blog that covers doing just this. Take a look and let us know if you still need input, or if that will solve your issue.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-install-blog-upgrades

If you did not move it, but just want media information, I would like to understand why you are doing the selective move. What is the reason for not moving all of your data?

Thanks,
Nick

Joji
Level 5

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply. I will look into the TECH67768. Hopefully, this will resolve my BE issue.

Best,

Joji