cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Backup Exec 12.5 Media server - from one server to another

gbug1
Level 3
Hi all,
I currently have 1 CAS and 2 Media servers setup. I want to migrate the media servers to different servers.
They are all fibre attached to our tape library, as well as our SAN for B2D purposes. My understanding on how to do this would be as follows:
1 - Move B2D luns from old media server to new media server
2 - Ensure B2D can be seen from OS on new media server
3 - Recreate B2D folders in BE on new media server to point to existing B2D folder from old media server.
Done.

If i have to restore data, will BE know that the media exists on the new server? Is there anything else i should consider for this?

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
Before you start with the activity, please ensure you have SQL database backup and catalog backup.

1) To backup SQL database and catalogs you have to stop all BE services and SQL (BEWS) Services, copy the folder "DATA" and "CATALOGS" from you BEWS installed folder. 

2) Id you want take a screenshot of the updates installed by going in BE console--->Help---->About BE---->Installed updates.

3) Also if you want take a screenshot of the Install Licenses or copy the file Besernum.xml present in C:\Windows.

4) All is you are prepared to migrate the BE server with backup of BE database.

5) For you last question of restoration, just you have ready catalogs or you can catalog the data that is present on B2D or on Tape.

6) Any how you can restore the data fast if catalogs are ready or if not you have to catalog the data which comsumes some time.

7) your backup data is secure till you dont delete B2D or scratch the tape.

Please let me know for further any quereis, so that I can share Best practices to migrate the BE server.

Good luck

Regards
KK

gbug1
Level 3
But dont each servers have their own local database? Ive already installed BE on the new Media Servers, and as a result their is already a SQL server instance.
Ive already done all of the licensing stuff as well, so no need to screenshots there.

How do i ensure 'catalogs are ready'? And how do i catalog the data?

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
ok fine, No need to catalog data.

Follow the below steps

1) Just stop BE Services and SQL services.
2) Copy the Old Catalog  Files in the CATALOGS folder present in the C:\program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs.
3) Start the SQL service and BE services.
4) You will get all the catalogs, with no problem and restoration of data.

Any quereis please reply

Regards
KK

gbug1
Level 3
What is the reason behind copying the catalog files?
And at what stage of the process does this happen?

gbug1
Level 3
Also, there is no C:\program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs
This is BE 12.5 by the way

kkate
Level 5
Accredited

I mean to say the install path of BE.

"C:\program files\Symantec\Backup Exec" is the default location. If you have customise then it may vary.

Catalogs are the files that consist entire information of the backup data.
You can say Metadata, i.e. data of data.

Backup Exec create catalogs in C:\program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs.
Backup Exec reads those catalogs and provide the information about what data has backup.

If you dont have Catalogs then you have to first catalog the media for restoration so that we come to know what data we want to restore from that media.

Any quereis please reply

Regards
kk

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Also take a look at
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/307764.htm
How to reinstall Backup Exec saving jobs definitions and current catalog information

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
Hello,

Please let me know for any further queries.

Regards
KK

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

Kindly check the link below to help you with the issues. This is a step by step procedure on how to migrate from one server to another.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/319367

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

regards