cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Retrospect data to BackupExec

mbs_pete
Not applicable

Hi there,

I've a general question relating to migrating data from Retrospect on the Mac into BackupExec 2010 on Windows.

My company have recently moved to using BackupExec 2010 for their archive/backup solution.  Prior to this, the company's archive/backup solution was Retrospect running on Mac OS, originally backup in OS9 country and more recently on OSX10.x.

I would like to know if there is any way of getting this legacy data from the Retrospect tapes/catalogs into BackupExec?  Part of the reason for asking is the Retrospect data is accessable only through an old Overland Storage SuperDLT XpressLoader and this is no longer supported etc., so at some point it will die and we've lost access to that data.

So.... can I attach this tape loader to our BackupExec machine, import the Retrospec Catalogs into BackupExec and then in effect, do a tape to tape copy from the DLT & SuperDLT tapes we hold, on to our new LTO 4 tapes?  Or am I being really hopeful here?

If we could not import the Retrospec catalogs, could BackupExec recatalog the old tapes (understanding they are Retrospect ones) to enable data migration to the new tapes?

Sorry for the questions, but I've very little experience of BackupExec and am trying to preempt future issues.

Any help/suggestions/guidance would be appreciated.

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Pete,

No way of doing this as Restrospect isn't supported in the BE 2010 SCL. Something like IBM Tivoli Storage Manager is supposed to work this way where you can import TSM data into BE, but I personally haven't done this, nor seen any queries around it in the forums.

Your only way around this is to restore that data from Retrospect onto something like an External HDD, attach it to the BE server and then back it up in BE.

This would be the only way I can think of getting your information from 1 application to the other!

Otherwise, see if you can invoke the Mac agent for BE on your BE media server. Restore data to the Mac server. Attach the library to the BE server, and then back it up. There should be a 60-day trial license you can invoke in BE for the Mac agent...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think so Backup Exec will be able to read the data written by a different application.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Pete,

No way of doing this as Restrospect isn't supported in the BE 2010 SCL. Something like IBM Tivoli Storage Manager is supposed to work this way where you can import TSM data into BE, but I personally haven't done this, nor seen any queries around it in the forums.

Your only way around this is to restore that data from Retrospect onto something like an External HDD, attach it to the BE server and then back it up in BE.

This would be the only way I can think of getting your information from 1 application to the other!

Otherwise, see if you can invoke the Mac agent for BE on your BE media server. Restore data to the Mac server. Attach the library to the BE server, and then back it up. There should be a 60-day trial license you can invoke in BE for the Mac agent...

Thanks!