cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from on-line backup service

Wesley_Newswang
Level 2
We have recently switch from an on-line backup service to utilizing Backup Exec 10.d. The on-line service allowed us to save the last x generations of a file indefinitely. What is the best way to duplicate this using 10d? I thought I had a setup that was working but discovered that files that were basically static (not modified in the last month or months) were eventually being deleted or overwritten. The only files in my backup were ones that were actively being used or changed.

We are backing up to a 1TB NAS in a remote building on our site through a wireless bridge.

I want all files to be backed up no matter how "old" and only save a total of 4 to 6 generations of any file. What's the best configuration to make it reliable and easy to backup and easy to restore?

Wes Newswanger
wesleyn(a t)martinswood(d o t)com
3 REPLIES 3

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

What backup method have you selected in backup job?

Are you backing up any databases?

By "generations" do you mean file versions?

What are the overwrite protection settings? Also refer: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237374.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Wesley_Newswang
Level 2
> What backup method have you selected in backup job?

I am using incremental since last full backup. The full backup was eventually overwritten by the incrementals

>
> Are you backing up any databases?
>

Yes, Pervsasive SQL

> By "generations" do you mean file versions?

Yes

>
> What are the overwrite protection settings? Also
> refer:
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237374.htm
>

They were set to overwrite after one month. I currently have it set to infinite-don't allow overwrite.

Regards,

Wes

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.