cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration Woes: Ready; Invalid storage device - storage tied to previous server

NP_in_CMH
Level 3

I'm migrating from a stand alone Backup Exec 15 server (ServerA) to a new stand alone server with a different name (ServerB). The same OS, the same Backup Exec 15 with service pack 5 with all the live update hotfixes. It migrated fine using numerous articles on Veritas, but the storage is all tied to previous server (ServerA). If I look at "All Storage Pools" details it says that the "Storage devices belong to the pool": disk1 (ServerA), disk2 (ServerA), disk3 (ServerA), etc...

The ability to add or remove is grayed out. How to I change disk1 from being registered with the previous server (ServerA)to the current server (ServerB)? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NP_in_CMH
Level 3

Found my own work-around solution. I looked forever to find this but here it is! I created new names to the same shares, NOT as legacy disks, and then it creates them as a shared resource that is accessible by old server and new server. Not what I want, but I will take it in a pinch... 

From: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Exec/BE-2012-After-migration-storage-pools-but-no-storage-devices/...

ramadori

"VJware, thanks for the advice. Oddly enough, I created a new storage device and put in the UNC path to the share, which was the same UNC path as one of the inaccessible storage devices.  Once it verified the UNC path, it gave me a message that the UNC path already existed with another storage device and it changed the name of the new storage device to the name of the existing one.  Once I clicked Save, the storage device showed up in the console and I could then look at the properties of it, make changes, etc.  This also worked with all the other storage devices that I was having trouble with.

RA

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

NP_in_CMH
Level 3

Found my own work-around solution. I looked forever to find this but here it is! I created new names to the same shares, NOT as legacy disks, and then it creates them as a shared resource that is accessible by old server and new server. Not what I want, but I will take it in a pinch... 

From: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Exec/BE-2012-After-migration-storage-pools-but-no-storage-devices/...

ramadori

"VJware, thanks for the advice. Oddly enough, I created a new storage device and put in the UNC path to the share, which was the same UNC path as one of the inaccessible storage devices.  Once it verified the UNC path, it gave me a message that the UNC path already existed with another storage device and it changed the name of the new storage device to the name of the existing one.  Once I clicked Save, the storage device showed up in the console and I could then look at the properties of it, make changes, etc.  This also worked with all the other storage devices that I was having trouble with.

RA