cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Missing' Media

Ldoodle
Level 5

Hiya,

Got a weird one here. Basically been using dedupe since July and all's been working well, until recently.

Notice some duplicate jobs were failing randomly (they'd fail once every 7 days with error E0000605), so checked the state of the media and a lot of them have what I can only describe as a no entry sign of them in the Media tab.

Any ideas?

26 REPLIES 26

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

What version of Backup Exec you are using?  

If its BE2010 R2, have you applied hotfix mentioned in the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154003

I would suggest upgrading to R3

Ldoodle
Level 5

Already running R3. Sorry should have mentioned that.

Ldoodle
Level 5

Any ideas guys?

A duplicate job has failed for the last 3 days, yet last nights one completed succesfully. Nothing has been changed.

Ldoodle
Level 5

Would it have anything to do with the fact that some of my media has what I can only describe as a driving 'No Entry' sign - circle with a black border, grey background and hyphen through the middle.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Post a screenshot of your "no entry" thing and the joblog of your failed duplicate job.  Save the joblog as html format.

When you click on the media, what is the location of the media?

Ldoodle
Level 5

Thanks pkh. The media with this no entry sign has no location!

Requested files attached.

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

Please check the link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH47792

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I don't think that BE 10d has anything to do with the dedupe error...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The "no entry" sign means that the media is offline, i.e., it cannot be access from the media server.  You either have them on a disk which is not attached to the media server or you have physically erased them from the media server.  If it is the latter, then you should delete them from BE.  Right-click on them and then associate them with the Retired media set.  After that, go to the Retired media set, right-click on them and select delete.

Ldoodle
Level 5

I haven't done either of those things (erased or on a disk no longer attached) though.

Updated BE which required a reboot and after reboot this problem occured! I need to get them back as this is duplicated data I don't want to have to re-duplicate 500GB of data across our WAN link!

Ldoodle
Level 5

I've run an inventory which completed 100% successful with no luck.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you can find the files on your media server, then delete the media from BE and then re-inventory and re-catalog them.

Ldoodle
Level 5

Of course I can find them as they haven't been moved, deleted, relocated etc.

In any case, I have deleted the missing media from BE and am doing an inventory - 25h38m encounting! This is a dedupe folder with about 1.1t of data.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is strange.  If you are using dedup, then your data should be stored in OST files and not in IMG files.  IMG files are files in B2D folders which are created when you use GRT.

Ldoodle
Level 5

I'm on the Devices tab in BE and the dedupe folder is continuously changing between 'In Use' and normal, like every 2/3 seconds.

Something is very wrong. I hope i'm not going to have to bomb this away and re-duplicate 1.1t of data over a 10Mb WAN link! :(

Ldoodle
Level 5

OK I cancelled the inventory job, restarted the server and the deduplication storage volume was not visible in My Computer, so had to go into Disk Management and noticed the disk (RAID 5) was offline - so made it online and rebooted again.

Now I want to clean up any media it inventoried before re-running inventory, but there are 5 OST files stating the media cannot be moved (to retired media) because it's still mounted (they have the green arrow by them).

And despite restarting the services, they are still mounted so cannot be moved. What is the procedure to forcibly unmount them so I can delete them.

Don't think i'll be staying with Shitmantec come renewal.

Thanks

Ldoodle
Level 5

Had to delete the dedupe volume to force a dismount of the locked media.

Do you actually have to inventory a dedupe volume - i've re-added it and all the OST files have been put into scratch media. I do have IMG files as using GRT for Exchange/SQL etc but these haven't been added yet.

**EDIT: Although it has added the OST to BE, the data column shows 0 bytes so I guess it does have to be inventoried.

Ldoodle
Level 5

Really getting annoyed now!

Have had to delete and create the dedupe folder 2 or 3 times now and every time the inventory time just counts on without actually doing anything (no percentage bar). If I cancel the inventory it locks currently reading media and the only way to dismount it is to delete the entire dedupe folder - WTF!

Is there anyway of checking to see if it is actually inventoring anything?

This is getting critical now as it's a week or so without offsite storage of my backup data. If it's not fixed very soon I will be demanding a refund for the cost of this software and going with someone else.

Ldoodle
Level 5

Every OST file in the dedupe folder is still in scratch media so none of it has been inventoried yet.

If Backup Exec take 25 hours to invetory nothing, then i'd hate to think how long it would take to inventory my 800 or so OST files!