cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing catalogs for tapes with vmware GRT content (BE 2010R3)

aos-stade
Level 3

Hi :)

I have some questions regarding vmware GRT backups and restore single files from a tape.

The problem is that I miss the catalogs for one of our servers (vmware with GRT, tape).

Here are some facts:

BE 2010R3

weekly full backup by way of policy via vmware agent (with GRT enabled)

backup to disk, afterwards to tape

When I look in the restore browser ("view by resource" / "SERVER.FQDN) I only see the lastet backup set which is located on the disk. I can browse within this set and select single files, so the GRT is working. But my problem is, that I do not see the backups which are on tape. We only keep the latest backup on disk, the other sets are on tape. If I now want to restore a single file from an older backup set, which is on tape, I can not select any files because the tape does not appear in the restore browser at all.

Affected is only one server. If I select another server I can see all the tapes of the past weeks and I can select single files to restore from tape. These other servers are backuped via vmware with GRT, too. The only difference is, that these other servers are in another policy and have a different b2d-folder and another media set in comparison to the affected server. Another intereseting fact is, that I have an older backup/tape of the affected server where I can select single files, but this older backup was done with the policy A (see below) to the same b2d-folder and media set as all the other servers. Now the server is backuped via a new policy to another b2d-folder and the tapes are in another media set, too. I think the problem that I can not restore single files from tape due to the missing catalogs appeared with the changes of the b2d-folder/media set or the new policy.

to sum it up:

server A (all other servers, with working GRT) -> policy A -> b2d-folder A -> media set A -> tape A       <- working GRT from tape

server B (the one with the problem) -> policy B -> b2d-folder B -> media set B -> tape B       <- no working GRT from tape

I compared both policies but I could not see any differences. Policy B is in fact a copy of policy A. Policy A has just some differences (other b2d-folder, media-set, schedule). Options should be the same. GRT is for sure activated (GRT restore from b2d-folder is working).

No truncate activated for the catalog (see attached screenshot)

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried cataloging the tapes that are "missing"?

aos-stade
Level 3

Oh, forgot to mention that.

I ran a catalog job. It finished after three minutes. But I did not make any difference. Tape still doesn't show up in the restore browser ("View by resource").

Loading media-based catalog set list from the storage media.

Backup of "VMVCB::\\XXX\VCGuestVm\(DC)XXX-Datacenter(DC)\vm\Erkannte virtuelle Maschine\XXX YYY VMVCB::\\xxx.yyy.de\VCGuestVm\(DC)XXX-Datacenter(DC)\vm\Erkannte virtuelle Maschine\XXX YYY"
Backup set #1 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Scheduled Duplicate Full VMWare XXX YYY Mittwoch"
Restoring media-based disk catalog image from the storage media.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What happens when you duplicate these tapes to disk?  Do you see them and is able to restore from them?  

When you restore from tape, you will be staging the backup to disk, so duplicating your tape backup to disk is not really doing anything extra.

aos-stade
Level 3

Interesting point, never did a duplicate in this direction (from tape to disk) before. That the restore via vmware GRT from a tape uses the local staging area was known to me, but how do I set up a manual job for duplication of a tape back to the disk?

Is it the same way I do a duplicate from disk to tape, just with changed selection (tape) and destination (b2dfolder) instead? Before I copy the tape to disk I have to create a new b2d-folder on a new partition, otherwise I get in trouble due to missing free space (this weeks full backup is still in the original b2d-folder) or is it necessary to copy the files on tape back to the original b2d-folder.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can duplicate the tape back to the same B2D folder.  You don't have to use a new B2D folder.  However, make sure that your disk have sufficient space for the backup set on your tape.

aos-stade
Level 3

Did a duplicate from tape to disk. No difference. Still no entry in restore browser ("view by resource" / "SERVER.FQDN"). Only an addiotional entry for a full restore of the backup set in "view by resource" / "VMware Virtuel Center and ESX Servers"