cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modified Time Backups

Level 2
I have noticed a problem when you use Modified Time for backups. When a Diff or Incr is run, filles are backed up based only on the modified time compared to the previoius backup time. This causes some files to be missed. For example: If a file or folder of files are moved to a differnt location, the modified time is not updated. The next backup will not pickup these changes in the file structure or location. Also, if a Zip file is extracted, modified times are set from the archive. If they were created before your last backup, they will never be backed up unless you modify them.

It seems to me that the existence of a file in the previous backup should also be checked to determin if it is a NEW file, and if it is new it should be backed up.

Am I missing something, or is this indeed a problem??

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

The incremental/Differential backups using the modified time will work for the same selection list.

If you change the location of the file or folder then it will not match with the selection list of Full backup using modified time and hence will not be backed up.

This is how this feature works in backup exec.

Hope this helps.

Level 2
I am not talking about selection lists at all, I think you missed the point. Lets take a simple example:

A backup was last run last night using time stamp modification as criteria for inclusion into the Differential backup. Today I receive an email containing a AutoCAD Drawing in a zip file from my client. He last modified this drawing yesterday. When I extract this zip file and place the drawing dwg file into my cad project, the timestamp will show the last modified date which was yesterday. Now when my backup runs the next time, this file will not be backed up because the timestamp is prior to the last backup time.

So unless I am missing something, this is not axceptable for my environment, and I cant think of an environment that it would be axceptable.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Modified time uses the files’ last modified date and time
stamp. So unless that changes, Backup Exec will not backup that file. Note that copying files or accessing them does not change their modified time. And hence backup Exec will not back it up. However you may try using the Archive bit method for backup.

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply