cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly and weekly backup conflicts

OJanicki
Level 3

Hello,

Looking for a better automated solution for this scenario.

I run fully updated Backup Exec 2012 and do a weekly full backup of all servers every Saturday at 1:00 PM EST to one set of hard drives.  On the last Saturday of the month, I run a monthly full backup at 2:00 PM EST to a drive used only once.  The schedules were staggered so that I would have time to place all weekly backups on Hold to allow the monthly to run with no media not found errors.  This works, as long as I remember to take the weeklies off Hold.

Guess what I forgot to do last week?  Yes, since the weekly job was still on Hold of course it didn't run!

I'd like some ideas on the best way to ensure that the monthly runs without issues and the weekly runs without issues in a "hands-off" manner.  Ideally, I want to set this up with some form of conflict resolution rules, but I am not sure if Backup Exec even has this feature.

Thanks for any advice!

Oscar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should run both the backups at the same time. This way the monthly job will supercede the weekly job. See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/superseding-jobs-be-2012 Note that both the weekly and monthly jobs must start at exactly the same time and must be part of the same scheduled job

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should run both the backups at the same time. This way the monthly job will supercede the weekly job. See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/superseding-jobs-be-2012 Note that both the weekly and monthly jobs must start at exactly the same time and must be part of the same scheduled job

OJanicki
Level 3

Thanks pkh! Wow, that easy? What determines which job takes precedence over another?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The job with the less frequent schedule will run