cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Backup Exec 15 database using BEUtility

JtheSysAd
Level 2

Hi,

We have our BEDB on a remote SQL 2008 server, we have built a new remote 2016 SQL server. if I use BEUtil to move my Backup Exec 2015 BEDB to the new SQL server, will the Change Backup Exec Database Location tool only move my BEDB or will it select and move all the other databases on the server? 

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It will move the entire BEDB.

Make sure you use a seperate instance for the BEDB.  Do not use an existing production instance because you may need to restart the instance from time to time.

BTW, have you thought about how you are going to recover BE in case of a total failure of the media server and the SQL server where the BEDB resides? This process is not straight-forward.

Hey Gurv,

Thanks for the info. We tried to use the utility and got the following error "FAILED TO ACCESS THE REGISTRY KEY OF THE SELECTED SERVER 'SERVERNAMEXXX" to get the SQL SERVER VERSION NUMBER" have you seen this before? any solution ideas?

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
Is the remote registry service running on remote server.

Yes that service is running

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
Open a case with tech support to get this to work or you can also manually detach the bedb from old instance to new instance and then update the registry entries to reflect the new instance server name and instance name where bedb is attached. Refer the article shared earlier for that.