cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Media Server to a different CASO Server

ratnip
Level 3
I am trying to move a Media Server at a remote site from one CASO Server (x86) to a different CASO Server (x64). On the remote Server I run through Tools, Install Options, etc.. and enter the new CASO Server name. I recieve an error message that it is "Unable to contact (servername)" see attached screen shot. Verified that DNS is working properly and so forth.

On the remote Server I was able to manually specify a new CASO and SQL instance and complete the install setup but it never was seen by the new CASO Server.

Next I tried to remote install from the new CASO Server with the same options I originally installed. This time I get an error "Symantec Backup Exec is already installed on Server (name)" and indicated to change any installation on the remote Media Server. Also tried this from the current CASO managing this Server and same results.

I was hoping to avoid an unistall and reinstall on the remote server but it appears that this may be the case. Won't be able to perform this until after hours though.

Another issue during original installation of this remote Server was not being able to push the install to the remote Server. I had to copy the install files to it and run it local. No big deal but this is a site with bonded T1's for a 3MB connection. Think BE should handle that across the wire? Or could it be that the remote Server is Windows 2008 R2?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ratnip
Level 3
Thanks for the information but the Move Managed Media Server failed as well with error "Failed to access the registry keys of selected server (newCASOservername) to get the Backup Exec version numbers."
What did work from the beutility is performing the remove Central Administration Server and then Set Central Administration Server.
From what I gathered here is install BE on Media Servers and then perform the beutility to set the CASO? But this defeats the purpose of pushing out installs.
Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

You can use Beutility to move the managed server to another CASO server.
Open it up, go to Media Servers, and right-click that server's name. I am not sure of the exact wording at the moment, but it's along those lines.
This is another method.
As a matter of interest, I don't bother adding servers into the CASO using BEWS...only BEutility as per Symantec. It works a lot better. Try that, and post the results.

There is an issue with support of Server 2008 R2 and Backup Exec, so this could likely be 1 of the issues. Do a search in the forums...there are a number of posts around this one of late.

Laters!

ratnip
Level 3
Thanks for the information but the Move Managed Media Server failed as well with error "Failed to access the registry keys of selected server (newCASOservername) to get the Backup Exec version numbers."
What did work from the beutility is performing the remove Central Administration Server and then Set Central Administration Server.
From what I gathered here is install BE on Media Servers and then perform the beutility to set the CASO? But this defeats the purpose of pushing out installs.
Thanks

ratnip
Level 3
FYI the Move Media Server within beutility worked on a regular Windows 2008 Server.