cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move / Run indexer-service.exe from another server

kubota95
Not applicable

I have Backup Exec 2010 running on a re-purposed server where this is it's sole job (and is backup for domain/network processes).  It is a 2-processor (3 GHz) Dell PowerEdge 1800 with a new RAID card running 6 new fast drives in RAID 1/5.  The system has 12GB RAM and is running Server 2008 R2.

I am looking to upgrade to Backup Exec 2012 but I'm not sure how this will impact performance.  Currently, the indexer-service will slowly ramp up to 100% processor and memory usage, and I am concerned about its ability to keep up. 

I have another new 2-processor Dell PowerEdge 2900 Server 2008 R2 server currently running all domain, file, and network functions, and running Symantec Endpoint Security for the domain and it barely utilizes 15% of the processing power on a consistent basis.  It has 12GB of RAM and it will fill up the space as it sees fit.

My question is: Is it possible to move the indexer-service to another server for processing while keeping everything else on the backup server?  Is it possible to do this during the upgrade, or should it be done in advance?  Would it be necessary to upgrade the memory on the newer server to accommodate this process?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

No it won't be possible. The only service you can move to another service would be BE's SQL instance which can be hosted on another remote SQL server.

Everything else runs locally on the media server.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What indexer service are you talking about?  Can you give the precise name of the service?

If you have enabled the option to display progress indicators for backup jobs, then this is not necessary.  This option will increase the length of the backup job.