cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move jobs to new backup-to-disk storage

PeterGust
Level 4

Hi

I have now one big backup-to-disk folder that is 9 TB. I have added a new disk to my media server that is 12 TB.

What is the best way to move jobs to the new backup-to-disk folder?
Should I create one big backup-to-disk folder and then create new media set that use the new storage?
When data on the old media sets has passed the retention time I can delete them and the b2b-files.

Or should I just copy/move the backup-to-disk folder content to the new backup-to-disk folder?

Backup Exec 2010 R2 SP1 + 10 Hotfixes (rev. 4164)

//Peter

7 REPLIES 7

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Peter,

If you do not want to use the 9 TB drive for any other purpose then I would say let the data and the Backup to Disk folder be there as it is.

You can create a new Backup to Disk folder on new Drive and direct all the jobs to new B2D. This way the older data will still be present for restore. And also starting new on the 12 TB drive will give yoy more space on the new drive.

Later as per your requirement you can also delete the older files from the 9 TB disk.

Thanks,

-Sush...

AmolB

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22738

PeterGust
Level 4

Thanks for responding.

The reason for the change is that the old disk is full ("low disk space") and is bad configured on the SAN.

When I copy the backup-to-disk files, should I shutdown all backup exec services?

AmolB

Yes you may.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When I copy the backup-to-disk files

You should not copy B2D files.  You should always duplicate them.  See this document

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

What you should do is to create a new B2D folder on your new disk and target you jobs to this new B2D folder.  You should also create a new media to go with the new B2D folder.  If you use your existing media, the media on your old disk may be re-used when they expire.

When the media on your old disk expire, then you can associate them with the Retired media set and delete them from BE.  After that, physically deleted them using Windows Explorer.

PeterGust
Level 4

The second part sound to be the easyest way, this was also my first solution that came to my mind.

What about the B2D folder. Should I create one huge 12 TB-folder or create smaller folders?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should create only 1 B2D folder per volume.  This will come in handy when you migrate to BE 2012 which only allows only 1 B2D folder per volume.