cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move to VRay to do differential backups?

Boss_Sauce
Level 2

I am currently running Backup Exec on a virtual server to back up a DFS Replicated file share using shadow copy components. The share is around 1.5TB and backs up to a tape drive. We usually have a back up speed of 1.2GB per minute which I've been told is a good speed. The only problem is that the share takes around 17 hours to back up and we have to do a full back up each time.

I am wondering if it would be better to have the server use VRay in order to run differential backups to speed up the backup process. We would be looking to run differential backups throughout the week and then run a full backup at the end of the week (Friday afternoons).

If this is not a viable solution, then we will just have to adjust the schedule of our daily backups so that it doesn't interfere with user performance.

Thanks in advance to all who help with this.

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I hope that you are aware that using a virtualized media server to access a tape drive is not supported

Boss_Sauce
Level 2

Ah I see. I personally did not set up this backup server or Backup Exec on it. A higher up person did so I am just relaying information and looking for a good solution to what we have so far.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You should check the DFS-R limitations for virtual machine backups as if I am remembering correctly you can't use GRT technology with DFS-R (against a VM)

EDIT: Although this document is not written for 2014 I believe it still applies

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH166487