cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving BE 12.5 Server to new server

Samad
Level 3
I have the following setup:

- BE 12.5 Media Server on Windows 2003 Server R2 (32bit)
- MS SQL Server 2005

I would like to move the above BE 12.5 Server to Windows 2008 R2 (64bit). I could not find specific instructions on how to do this connecting to an existing BEDB on MS SQL Server 2005.

Appreciate if someone could help at the earliest.

Regards
Samad
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
I recently migrated a customer from BE 9.1 on 32 bit Windows 2000 to BE 12.5 on 64 bit Windows 2003 with a change of server name as well so it can be done and your scenario is (in theory) simpler as you already run 12.5 on the original server.

I have however not checked going from Windows 2003 to 2008 but as Backup Exec would still be running in SQL Express would expect it to work.

basic steps (which closely match the document are)
1) Install 64 bit Backup Exe on the new server with the same SP level as on old server.
2) Shutdown services on both servers and copy the database files, Backup to disk folders and catalog files from one server to the other
3) Startup ONLY the SQL service on the new server
4) Run the command to change the name of the server in the database
5) Start up the Backup Exec Services
6) In the BEWS console configure your hardware (tape devices, backup to disk folders) for the new server.
7) Change all the jobs so that they target the new backup devices.
8) Delete the references to the old backup devices
9) Correct any backup selection lists that might need modifying
10) Correct the advertising/publishing of any remote servers so that they address the new server.

Note these notes only apply to a basic server and do not cover things like DLO, CPS or CASO.
Also as a recommendation I would put all the jobs on hold on the original server before shuttting down the services and copyying the database as then no jobs will try and run on the new server until you have corrected the configs and additiionally you will be able to restart the services on the old server to compare settings without having any jobs start on the wrong server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Here's a document which would help:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/319367

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Samad
Level 3
I saw this document but was not sure whether it applies to my requirement since it says that

Do not follow this procedure if any of the following are true:
The computer where Backup Exec is installed and the computer where it will be installed are running two different versions of the Windows Operating System.

Basically, i am moving my BE server to a new computer running different version of OS, but my DB Server remains the same.

Can i follow the instructions for my scenario?

Colin_Weaver
I recently migrated a customer from BE 9.1 on 32 bit Windows 2000 to BE 12.5 on 64 bit Windows 2003 with a change of server name as well so it can be done and your scenario is (in theory) simpler as you already run 12.5 on the original server.

I have however not checked going from Windows 2003 to 2008 but as Backup Exec would still be running in SQL Express would expect it to work.

basic steps (which closely match the document are)
1) Install 64 bit Backup Exe on the new server with the same SP level as on old server.
2) Shutdown services on both servers and copy the database files, Backup to disk folders and catalog files from one server to the other
3) Startup ONLY the SQL service on the new server
4) Run the command to change the name of the server in the database
5) Start up the Backup Exec Services
6) In the BEWS console configure your hardware (tape devices, backup to disk folders) for the new server.
7) Change all the jobs so that they target the new backup devices.
8) Delete the references to the old backup devices
9) Correct any backup selection lists that might need modifying
10) Correct the advertising/publishing of any remote servers so that they address the new server.

Note these notes only apply to a basic server and do not cover things like DLO, CPS or CASO.
Also as a recommendation I would put all the jobs on hold on the original server before shuttting down the services and copyying the database as then no jobs will try and run on the new server until you have corrected the configs and additiionally you will be able to restart the services on the old server to compare settings without having any jobs start on the wrong server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

BackupExec media servers will not be supported on W2K8R2 until BackupExec 2010  (Remote Agents are supported with v12.5 + a hotfix)

Other than that, Colin's suggestions should work fine

Samad
Level 3

Followed all the instructions you mentioned, but after all the actions, when i try starting BE services, i am not able to. I get the following error in the event log:

Event ID:      58065
Description:
The Backup Exec Device and Media Service cannot start because it detected a database schema version mismatch.

Note that i am moving only the BE application to the new server and my SQL Server remains the same. Also, my SQL server is not on the same server as the BE Application. Hence, after i received this error, i tried stopping the local MSDE SQL service but still the services wont start.

Regards
Samad