cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Backup Exec 2015 to new server and conserve backup history

Guiga
Level 4

Hello eveyone,

Recently, i have have moved my Backup Exec 2015 to a new server with the same version of OS and Backup Exec.

I have follow Veritas link to move the catalogs, database, etc and eveything is OK.

I can open BE 2015 interface OK

I have created the same devices storage (D:, F:, etc) and i have copied the old content on these devices.

When i open BE interface and go to devices i can't show them.

So i have tried to add them but i can't and i can't do any job backup or restore based on the old backup content.

Some message error: 

1- Impossible to delete selections list (When i run a new Backup Job)

2- A device with a same name already exist (When i try to configure storage and add all the devices).

Can you help me please to solve these problems.

Thanks

Guiga

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello and thanks for all your response,

I found the problem and the solution.

All the error message have been solved by an Update of SBE2015.

After this i have formatted all the partition, added it as new storage devices.

After this, i have copied the old content of each devices and copied it in the right place by ovewiting the content (The default content).

when this step finished, i have edited each job setting by definting the right storage to the right job

and everything is OK now :)

Thank you again

Guiga 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try doing an inventory and catalog on these storage devices.

Hello and thanks for your response,

I no longer have the old server, i only have the content of the old devices in external disk.

there is no alternative to do this ?

Thanks 

Guiga

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No

Thanks for your reply,

I really need these Backup, if i create a new disk qwith different name, add it as new storage in BE and paste the Old backup files on it and point to this devices, you think, this can be a solution to my problem ?

Thanks pkh :)

Guiga 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Create your backuo to disk devices with new/different names

Then edit each job and make sure the jobs use the new names as the target device

Basically Backup Exec does not just remember the path to a Backup to disk device, it also stores details about the volume identifiers which basically means the volumes in the new server are not seen as the same device as the old server even if you kept the drive letters, but then also means that the device names of the devices used on the old server cannot be used as the BEDB is already aware of them (because you copied it)

Hello,

So, for:

1- Create your backuo to disk devices with new/different names ==> OK,

2- Then edit each job and make sure the jobs use the new names as the target device ==> I have an error message (Attached)

So finally i don't have any solution to use the old content of devices related to the old servers ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think you may need to log a formal support case as it looks like you have an issue inside the BEDB itself.

selva4
Level 4
Employee

Open the physical location of the storage.

Ex: I drive has been configured as a storage, Go to the windows Explorer and Open the I drive.

Rename the BEDATA.OLD and delete the BE control.

Get back to Backup Exec console, configure the I drive as a storage again, you should be able to get it done.

Hello and thanks for all your response,

I found the problem and the solution.

All the error message have been solved by an Update of SBE2015.

After this i have formatted all the partition, added it as new storage devices.

After this, i have copied the old content of each devices and copied it in the right place by ovewiting the content (The default content).

when this step finished, i have edited each job setting by definting the right storage to the right job

and everything is OK now :)

Thank you again

Guiga