Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Backup Exec from SQL 2008 R2 to local SQLExpress

AceCrosley
Level 3

Hello,

System overview:

BKP01 - Backup Server running WS2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 x64 with Backup Exec 2014 Version 14.1 Rev. 1786 (64-bit)

SQL01 - SQL Server running WS2008 R2 Standard SP1 x64 with MS SQL 2008 R2 (Fully patched)

Current SQL Server instance: SQL01\MSSQLSERVER

I would very much like to move the BEDB to BKP01. Currently SQLExpress is not installed on BKP01.

I also am planning an upgrade BKP01 to BE 15 if that will give me a path to move the DB.

Any advice welcome.

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE makes a nightly backup of the BEDB (bedb.bak). if you copy this to the new server and install a blank BEDB, you should be able to use beutility.exe there to reload the BEDB from a backup. Just point it in the direction of where you copied bedb.bak.

Upgrading​ the target server will also allow you to move the server config from the old server to the new server.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech67768.html

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Which version & edition of SQL will you be using on BKP01 ?

AceCrosley
Level 3

The version with BE2014 or if not possible as this will be SQLExpress 2005 I think then the SQLExpress version with BE 15.

AceCrosley
Level 3

This article deals with the moving of the BE instance. I want to focus on moving only the BEDB.

Can you maybe point out the section in the article you think covers this?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It will be better to use atleast the same version of SQL or higher on the BKP01 server and i don't think its supported to move the SQL DB from a higher version of SQL to a lower version.

First you'll have to install a SQL instance on the BKP01 server and then you can use BEutility to move the BEDB - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH37752.html

AceCrosley
Level 3

I will investigate this solution and get back to you.