cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Backup Exec server to another machine

psycho
Level 3
Partner
hello, my backup exec server is up and running with stand alone tape drive,,  what i need to do in order to move my backup exec server from the current server to another server.
9 REPLIES 9

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
You have to stop services of BE and SQL
Copy entire Backup Exec directory.
Install BE with same verion that was installed on old server
Stop the services of BE and SQL
Overwrite entire directory of BE with copied one.
Run BEUtility.
Right click the server and chnage server configuration.
Enter old domain and computer name, enter new domain and computer name.
Say ok
Start all services
Its done.

Regards
KK

psycho
Level 3
Partner

its really so easy .... its mean we have to take the backup of backup exec directory every day sothat if the disaster occer we will be able to restoer backup exec server ....  

tell me that this is the best parctice procedure ?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Please DO NOT copy the entire backup exec folder. This is not the best practice. You just need to copy Data and Catalogs folder. After stopping all Backup Exec services and SQL service, you can replace these folders. Before moving these folders, ensure that both Backup Exec softwares are of same version and are patched with same hotfixes and service packs. yes, we encourage our customers to backup catalogs and data folder of Backup Exec, to recover from disaster of Media server.

psycho
Level 3
Partner
ok you mean i need to backup this folder  ----> C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data   but where is the catalogs folder

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
No, I did not mean that folder. I meant, c:\program files\symantec\Backup Exec\Data and c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\catalogs folder.

Thanks

psycho
Level 3
Partner
oh i see, it had better to take bakcup regular of those 2 folders so that i will be able to restoare may backup exec server in case of disaster....

thanks you guys.....

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Please mark it as solved.

Thanks

Not applicable
in order to move your backup exec to a different server with a different name or same server name

Different server name.

Step 1) install the backup exec on the new server

Step 2) Stop the SQL server(BKUPEXEC) service on both the servers

Step 3) Copy the data and catalog folder from the old server and replace the new server data and catalog folder 

Step 4 ) start the SQL server service on the new server 

Step 5) open the command promt  
type osql -E -S (servername)/BKUPEXEC (enter)
use bedb 
go 

SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition
go <press enter>

UPDATE DataPartition SET PartitionName='<this server name>' WHERE PartitionID =0 <press enter>

go <press enter>

quit 

Step 6) once done that restart the backup exec services 

and than check for the configuration 

Please use the technote http://support.veritas.com/docs/287063

it has the detail information on how to migrate the data from one server to another 

let me know if this resolves your issue, please mark it as solution if it resolves it 

thanks 

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner

hi,

pls.check link below for the precise and complete procedure on how to move Backup Exec from one server to another.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/319367 E-Mail this document to a colleague
How to move Backup Exec for Windows Servers from one system to another with the same or different computer names

http://support.veritas.com/docs/288640 E-Mail this document to a colleague
How to move Backup Exec (tm) 10d, 11d, or 12.0 from a 32 bit system to 11d or 12.0 on a 32-bit/64-bit system with the same or different computer name

If this answered your question / solved your problem, please mark this post as the solution.

Thank you very much!