cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Backup Sets to Another Disk Storage Location

mari
Level 4

We're replacing a NAS used for disk storage with a new larger one and I need to transfer the backup sets from the old to the new. I've read some posts stating that I need to run duplication jobs on all the backup sets to the new storage, but this seems awfully time consuming. Is it possible to robocopy everything over including the .cfg and BEControl files? Or perhaps copy the .bkf files over an re-catalog them? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Take a copy of your BEDB (Use beutilty to dump it and then copy the recently created BEDB.BAK) and Catalog folders (just in case)

Create the new storage inside Backup Exec. (it doesn't really matter if you have already done this before taking a copy of the BED)

Copy only the BKF files (and IMG folders if you use GRT)

Delete the old storage from Backup Exec (you should get a pop-up to retarget any jobs which is the easy way to point them at the new storage)  - I would suggest not erasing the file system, on the actual content of the storage until you are happy that all is OK as it will be matched to the copy of the BEDB can catalogs you took earlier)

Inventory the new storage

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Take a copy of your BEDB (Use beutilty to dump it and then copy the recently created BEDB.BAK) and Catalog folders (just in case)

Create the new storage inside Backup Exec. (it doesn't really matter if you have already done this before taking a copy of the BED)

Copy only the BKF files (and IMG folders if you use GRT)

Delete the old storage from Backup Exec (you should get a pop-up to retarget any jobs which is the easy way to point them at the new storage)  - I would suggest not erasing the file system, on the actual content of the storage until you are happy that all is OK as it will be matched to the copy of the BEDB can catalogs you took earlier)

Inventory the new storage

Hi Colin,

Thanks very much for the assistance. I followed your instructions and the migration went smooth. Thanks again!