cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Disk to Disk Folder

MichaelDaddo
Level 3

my backup server is currently utilizing an external hard drive for its disk to disk jobs.

Total size of Drive - 3.5TB

currently about 800 bkf files totaling about 3TB. (date range of 8/2-8/12)

I need to move to a different external driver that is only about 2.5 TB.

Is this possible at all?  Do i need all of the bkf files?

I have read that manually copying and pasting the files to the new location is a bad idea and a good idea.

Would anyone suggest the following:

1. backup the backup to disk folder 1st

2. move the bkf fie to the new backup to disk folder

3. run inventory on the old b2d folder and it should not find any files in there as you have already moved it

4. run inventory on the new backup to disk folder , it should find all the bkf files

5. see if you are able to see the restore selections.

Would this be the best method instead?: Create a Backup-to-Disk folder in your new external hard disk and create a duplicate job to duplicate existing backup sets. Select the backup sets you want to trasfer as source and select the B2D folder on external HDD as destination.

5 REPLIES 5

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Manually copying backup files will infact cause issue with backup exec not knowing about the files being copied to the newly created B2D location. I would suggest going with the last method that you mentioned... Create the B2d folder and then running a duplicate job for the sets that you would like to be present in the new storage location

Edit..

for your review 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It will still work....

Goto the old disk

Sort the files as per modified date

Delete all the files which you think have aged out.

Copy them to the new disk

Add this location to the Backup exec as a B2D folder

Inventory them

Done!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I don't think this is very sound advice when the OP is advised to manually decide which bkf files to delete.

This goes directly against what Donald presents and backs up via the TN provided...I haven't seen anything on Symantec's TN pages around doing this all manually...

Thanks!

EDIT:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-delete-bkf-files-b2d-folder

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Delete all the files which you think have aged out.

This will create orphan catalog entries.  Also, if a backup set spans a couple of .bkf files, there is a danger that one of these files would be deleted, rendering the backup set useless.

Also, moving the B2D folder will go against the advice of this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061

particularly scenario 3.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@Michael - When will these media be overwritable?  If they are going to be ovewritable soon, you can

1) create a new B2D folder on the new disk

2) target your jobs to write to this new B2D folder.

3) when the media in the old B2D folder come ovewritable, use the procedure in the link referenced above to delete the media from BE.

4) when all the media has been deleted from BE, you can format your old disk to re-use it.

This way, you do not have to do any duplication to your new B2D folder.