cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Tapes to Online Media

User2008
Level 2

Hi All,

I have a user defined media location named "Testing". There are some tapes under this media location. I would like to move this tapes to "Online Media". However when I right click on the tape which is under "Testing", and select "Move to vault"; i only see "Offline" and "Testing" as avaialble selection. "Online" wasn't available. Screenshot attached.

Any idea how to move the tapes to "Online Media"?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you put the tape into the tape library/drive and inventory it, it would be shown as Online.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Media vaulst are for managing media locations when they are NOT inserted into a connected library

There are however two "special" vaults

The offline vault is a dynamic status area for if you have not defined a custom vault for a location for a tape that is not in a library any longer (so an inventory shows that different or no media is in the last known location for the tape meaning the original media is not online)

The Online Vault is a dynamic area (that as per pkh answer) is populated by a tape being detected as online during an inventory

Hi pkh,

The tape is currently in one of the AutoLoader slot.

I try eject the tape and run an inventory job. But still i see the tape is listed under "Testing" media location. It wasn't being removed from "Testing".

Any idea?

Thanks. 

Hi Colin_Weaver,

@Colin_Weaver wrote:

The Online Vault is a dynamic area (that as per pkh answer) is populated by a tape being detected as online during an inventory

Does it mean that those tapes that I see under "Testing" Media Location is currently Not Online? Hence it is not shown under "Online" Media Location? Thanks.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Nope it means you manually put the tapes in the Testing Vault but could and have not run an iventory since.

If you intend to have online testing media you should create a library parition and possibly some specific media sets as well and not use a vault (which apart from the special case of online media is really for managing offline media

i.e. you might have a Iron Mountain Vault, a firesafe vault a shelf in server room vault, a sent to second site vault etc.