cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from full backup to deduplication

bluewire
Level 3

Hi all, I'm looking in to a solution for some of our backups. I'm running BUE 2010R3 and what I'm trying to do is: I have one Central Admin Server located in NYC and i have another Managed Media Server located in Reno. Right now the NYC server is handling a large backup some where in the area of 1.3TB to a NAS. I want to start doing a Deduplication of that data to Reno ( also has a NAS ) as a precaution in the event that we loose our NAS in NYC. the NYC server already has a deduplication folder on it so i know that i can't create another one, and there is so much data to move that just doing a deduplication job for the first time from NYC to Reno over the wire will just kill the network. so what i was thinking is i would do a full backup to removable media and ship the drive the backup was done on to Reno and move the data on to the NAS then recatalog the backup in to BUE for that location and then start doing Dedupliaction from that. Will that work? Or do i need to do something else?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This will not work.

What you can do is to install the dedup option on the Reno server and then duplicate the backup sets in the NYC dedup folder to the Reno dedup folder.  This is called optimised duplication and only the dedup'ed data will flow across the wire, minising bandwidth.  If bandwidth is a concern, you can further throttle the bandwidth.

bluewire
Level 3

I've been through all the setting and can't seem to find anything about bandwidth throttling. Is there a setting I'm missing?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Within the BackkupExec server itself and on each client is a file named PDCONF.

WIthin there you can throttle bandwidth among other things like compression, encryption and more.

To cap a client, edit the file on the client.  To cap the media server, edit the file on the media server.

The data entries are pretty self explanatory, with existing values or examples in it already.

bluewire
Level 3

So if I'm looking at this file correctly the line that reads:

Max bandwidth backup/restore (KB/s, 0=No Limit)
BANDWIDTH_LIMIT = 0

means no limit, now when i change it to say 10 for example will that set it to 10 KB/s? Or am i wrong in my thought process.?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

bluewire
Level 3

Thanks for all the help, I think i got my answers now..