cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving the deduplication folder

Matt12345
Level 4

I'm running BE 2010 R3.

I want to replace the storage device used by our current deduplication folder.

I've read the procudure detailed here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160832

It really seems a little over complicated for what I'm intending to do.. My intent is to just replace the "R:" drive with a newer, bigger "R:" drive. I'm thinking I can:

1. stop the services mentioned in technote 160932
  2. copy the data to the new volume
  3. take the old device offline
  4. give new device same drive letter as old device
  5. start BE services

Has anyone attempted anything like this?

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, i think you must follow the procedure mentioned in the TN 160932 to successfully move the dedup folder to new location.

The process mentioned in the TN is very clear and if you can follow without missing anything, you can complete the activity without any hassles.

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

@Matt12345 -

I tested and authored the doc you are referencing.

It may be possible to do your steps, however, doing the documented steps in http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160832 will ensure the new drive size is registered within the dedupe services and prevent other smaller issues that may crop up in larger CASO environments.

If you have any questions, please post so I can address them publically.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Deleting the dedupe folder only deletes it's references in BE.  Not from the file system.

This is just good house keeping as mentioned by Randey above, it's just to prevent anything obscure or rare down the road, and really it's just two extra steps for you.

It's like how Symantec for years has said to NOT install their software over Terminal service or remote desktop unless you used the /console switch.  This way you get full access to the registry.  I've had some quirky errors over time with SMSME and SAV and SEP by not following those directions.

Though I have relocated a dedupe folder to a larger partition as you wanted to do, with much success.  Well before that article was published.