cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi tape backup per month with backup exec 10d

kdmiller45
Level 2
I would like to setup a policy that would allow multiple tapes to be used for each month, here is why.

our site allows append to tape with no overwrite and tapes must be retained for 7 years,  so with the massive amount of data be backed up I may fill one tape and need to load another one automatically, how can this be done.
3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Read up on Media Sets in the Admin Guide.  Very simple concept, and a quick read.  The help file may have that info too.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I would like to setup a policy that would allow multiple tapes to be used for each month

BackupExec should do this automatically, with no input from you at all (if you have a library/loader)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi kd,

If you have an autoloader/library, you won't have to worry about a tape loading automatically. It will do that like Ken said, as long as you have scratch media available in that device.
For the tapes you need to retain for 7 years, I would make sure your retention policy is set up correctly. You'd obviously need a minimum of 96 tapes. Once your retention policy is configured correctly, those tapes will be locked and won't be overwritten, unless you move them to another media set, or erase them.

Laters!