cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-tape erase operation selects offline drive

Dr__Sigmund
Level 3

I'm using HP MSL2024 tape library which is capable of supporting two tape drives, but currently has only one installed. Nevertheless, library reports two drives (I couldn't find a way how to make it report only one drive). In Backup Exec one (present) drive is identified to be online, and second (absent) drive is shown red and offline. Usually it causes no problems, during backup jobs BE correctly uses the present drive. However, if I try to do multi-tape erase operation (select several tape cartridges, and click "Erase"), the job fails. In job log I see that first tape is successfully erased by the present drive, but all other tapes are directed to absent drive and erasing of course fails with message "Physical Volume Library Drive not found".

I tried pausing and disabling the missing drive, but it doesn't help, it is still being selected during erase job.

Generally not a big problem, erasing tapes one-by-one succeeds. But probably should be checked.

7 REPLIES 7

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Run discover.exe from BE and verify if this utility also reports 2 drives by any chance. If yes, consult hardware vendor to ensure the utility does not detect the second drive and it should not interfere further with BE

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH87501

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...open up the web front-end of the MSL2024 and see if there are 2 logically partitioned libraries, and if so, delete the 1.

Thanks!

Dr__Sigmund
Level 3

Discover.exe finds only one tape device, what is expected. The library has never been partitioned into 2 logical libraries; looks like I even can't do that without second drive installed, the option for partitioning is not even present in web interface.

I also found that even task for erasing only one tape fails with the same error if present drive is busy with some other task (backup, for example). Even with absent drive being offline and disabled, BE still selects it for erase job, and the job fails of course.

I do recognize the fact that library behaves not perfectly, there should be some way to tell it report only one drive. But, on other hand, BE shouldn't try to use disabled offline drive.

Dr__Sigmund
Level 3

Discover.exe finds only one tape device.

Dr__Sigmund
Level 3

The library has never been partitioned, and without second drive installed, the only option available is "One logical library".

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

the one which you do not utilize, disable it and delete it and then restart the BE services. Check if it comes back again ?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Can you post your adamm.log file?  I believe that will show that the library is telling BE that it has two drives, which is the root of your problem.  I believe the library is falsely claiming to have two drives, but BE can only find one drive (true), which generates the missing drive in the BE GUI.

The interesting part might be similar to this:

1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         44
                     Portal Slots            3
                     Import/Export           Robotic
                     Drives                  2

Drive Element 0         1009, "IBM     ULT3580-HH6     10681234"
                     Drive Element 1         1010, "MISSING DEVICE 

but it should look more like this:

1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         44
                     Portal Slots            3
                     Import/Export           Robotic
                     Drives                  1

Drive Element 0         1009, "IBM     ULT3580-HH6     10681234"

To get the library to correctly report only one drive, you will need to work with the library vendor.  Normally, the library corrects/updates itself with a power cycle of the library.  Following gurvinders suggestion to disable & delete the library & drives from BE, then restart BE services is also a good suggestion to clarify things.