cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Media Servers backing up Exchange 2010 DAG

vincemacneil
Level 2

I am using Excahnge 2010 DAG across multiple sites.  I would like to backup my mailboxes using local media servers attaching to the same DAG group.  Is this a supported configuration?

THanks

Vince

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Please see below link and at end of link there are related reference link which gives information on CASO and MMS http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43297 Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Vince,

When the Exchange 2010 is configured in DAG it is receommended to back it up from the DAG node only. This is because when you backup from the individual media server then the logs of Exchange databases may not be consistent and also may not get properly flushed.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi First of all you need to understand some pre requisites to backup exchange drag 1 Ensure BE2010 r3 is fully patched up with sp2 and updates. 2 In your day it is important that you need to install remote agent on all mailbox nodes and CAS nodes in your DAG. 3 Once done ensure same level of management tool for exchange are installed on media server. 4 Now about your question if you want to ensure local backup of mailbox database done from media server for that you have option to use preffered server to configure mailbox node in such way that media server would backup database locally on each site. Thanks

vincemacneil
Level 2

I have all the BE software up to date for 2010 R3.  Under the preferred server settings in the selection list there is not any information regarding my media servers.  I only see my DAG group.

vincemacneil
Level 2

Both of my media servers are separate installs of BE.  They are not aware of each other

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Please uninstall the hotfix from media server and then you would be able to add server in preffered server check link below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH185927 Moreover backup exec installed on media server if they are in CASO and MMS setup that will help each one to be aware of each other as you have different sites in this case. Thanks

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Vince,

Coming back to your original question  Is this a supported configuration?.... Definately NOT

Thanks,

-Sush...

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Please ensure if you have backup exec in CASO MMS enviorment ,installed on mutiple sites and different nodes in exchange DAG over multiple sites ,then you can configure from each media server backup of each database which would be local to that media server ,were you have selected exchange from DAG ,which is recommended way .and this should work Hope that helps. Thanks

vincemacneil
Level 2

What is CASO and MMS?  I am using one domain and one exchange site the DAG servers are spread acroos 2 physical sites connected by WAN.  I don;t want to backup over the WAN that is why I have another BE server at each location

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Please see below link and at end of link there are related reference link which gives information on CASO and MMS http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43297 Thanks