cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Server B2D to Tape

Christian_W_
Level 3

I have a problem with my backup strategy I had used in Backup Exec 2010.

In 2010 I backup all servers in one job to a B2D Storage (on the D:\ partition from the Backup server) after this a duplication job run to copy the whole B2D data (of the B2D job) to the Tape. This was for me the best way.

Now I have some Problems:

• How can I create 2 B2D Folders one the D:\ partition of the Storage Server? (By creating a network Storage on \\127.0.0.1\B2D BE 2012 say it is a local Storage and no network storage)
  • How can I backup my servers successively into the B2D Storage
  • How can I duplicate the whole B2D Backup in one time to tape

(Sorry for my simple Englisch wink)

7 REPLIES 7

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

• How can I create 2 B2D Folders one the D:\ partition of the Storage Server? (By creating a network Storage on \\127.0.0.1\B2D BE 2012 say it is a local Storage and no network storage)

--> Go to Storage. Click on Configure Storage option and select Disk based storage and provide the path for D:  drive. Remember with BE 2012 you can create only one B2D on one volume

• How can I backup my servers successively into the B2D Storage

-->Create backup job  for each server and set the destination as the B2D on the D: drive. Increase the concurrency of the B2D to appropriate high value if jobs from all the servers are going to start at the same time.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How can I duplicate the whole B2D Backup in one time to tape

You can use DUplicate Backup Sets. From Storage Tab select all the backup sets (ctrl+click) you want to duplicate to tape, right click on one of them and click on duplicate. COmplete the other options like storage device to be used, medis set and click on OK.

And i do not understand why you want two B2D folders.

Thanks....

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

Backup Exec will backup your servers successively because the default 'Concurrent write sessions' feature defaults to 1, for a Disk Storage device.  Therefore, create/target your server backups to the Disk Storage device.  The one at the front of the line will begin and the others will not.  When the first one is done, the next one will start and so on...unitl all of them have run.

To view the 'Concurrent write sessions' of your storage device, follow these steps:

1. Click on the Storage tab
  2. Right-click on your storage device
  3. Select Details
  4. Select Properties
  5. The feature will be located In the upper right-hand corner under 'Backup Exec server information'

Christian_W_
Level 3

First thank you for your reply.  So after some tests here my experience:

• @ Sush … I would like to have more as one B2D Folder because for me it is more logical to have 3 B2D Folder (Backup / Backup_Holiday (In German called “Feiertag” [f.e. Chrisrtmas]) / Backup_Test). But if it no longer is it's just the way.
  • The Info with the restriction of simultaneous B2D access to 1 works fine
  • The Info with the duplicate not working the way I want it. Now after the first job to Disk it copy the Data to tape, rewind the tape, after the next Job to Disk the same and so on. So I have simultaneously read and write IO on the Disk. In BE 2010 the duplicate Job overwrite the Tape, duplicate all Servers to tape and eject the Tape at the end (for our customer the best way). Now I must configure the first job to overwrite the tape and the following to attach to the Tape. The Last job must configure to eject the Tape. When I have 10 Servers it is a bit unmanageable, especially when the order get confused.

So my new Questions:

• Is it possible to duplicate all Server Backups (from one night) once with to duplicate to tape?
  • Can I configure that the first job overwrite the B2D Folder (like in BE 2010)? Or must I do that over the Media Sets?

Christian_W_
Level 3

I just see that I can not a B2D Media link with a Media Set. I'm going crazy ... can not be Symantec the old features in the new Version.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BanksyMJ
Level 4
Employee Accredited

FYI

In the next release of Backup Exec, the ability to bundle multiple servers into a single job returns. It doesn’t  help now, but Symantec have been listening and will be reintroducing this feature in the near future.