cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple jobs to same tape?

m_techguy
Level 4
hi guys,

I have a server running BE 9.1 + Oracle Agent. I have enough of a time window to allow me to do an offline and online Oracle database backup overnight. I would like to do the offline and online backups on to ONE tape for disaster recovery purposes.

What I'm thinking is to set the time of the offline backup to say 3:00 AM and then set the time of online backup to 3:01 AM. The idea is that the online backup will start as soon as the offline has finished.

Good idea or not? Anyone have any thoughts?

techguy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
Create a new media set.
schedule your job to run on that media set.
Put only 1 tape in that media set. If there is enough space your backups will fullfil the tape. Be careful of your append time.
Make sure your job will append to the media instead of overwrite media

If the media is full BE 91 will go in the scratch media. if no tapes are present the job will be queued

Mark

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

THarry
Level 5
 hi techguy,

I think as long as both jobs are using the same media set and the tape has enough space, this should work. 
However if there are other blank tapes available in that media set, I'm not sure how it chooses which tape to grab.  
It may take another available tape instead (assuming you have a tape library, if not then never mind).

Harry 

Marksw
Level 5
Create a new media set.
schedule your job to run on that media set.
Put only 1 tape in that media set. If there is enough space your backups will fullfil the tape. Be careful of your append time.
Make sure your job will append to the media instead of overwrite media

If the media is full BE 91 will go in the scratch media. if no tapes are present the job will be queued

Mark