cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple server backups to 1 tape?

mpoertner
Level 3

In the previous version of Backup Exec (2010) I was able to have 1 job to backup multiple servers, duplicate to tape and then eject the tape. I can not figure out how to replicate this behaviour in the new version 2012.

There seems to be a major conflict of scheduling. One server will finish and utilize the tape drive making in unavailable for the next server to duplicate to tape. Then which job should eject the tape?

Also I am having a problem where the tape media is overwriteable but not apendable. 

Any help would be greatly appriciated!  I've been using Backup Exec for 15 years and this new version is awful!  The interface is not intuitive, it's colorful and bubbly at the cost of functionality.  Symantec are you reading this? I've been a faithful customer for 15 years but based on this version my recomendation to my employer would be to find a different backup solution.

8 REPLIES 8

mpoertner
Level 3

I figured this out.  Unfortunately if you select more than one server you cannot exclude specific folders from the job.  Hopefully Symantec "fixes" this in an update. I can't be the only one who is employed in an environment that archives old data on disk that doesnt need to be backed up.

Andrew_Soc
Level 4

I agree with you mpoertner !! Is very difficulty now with backup exec 2012 to schedule a job for any server and calculate the order of job.. is frustating.

If i select more than one server can only backup the entire servers!! NO good!

mpoertner
Level 3

Right, and it says in the manual that it is that way by DESIGN?!?!  What a joke.  I'm very perplexed by this. I can't see paying for software maintenance if this is the direction the product has gone.  But if not Backupexec than what?  Is this just a ruse from symantec to get their customers to buy Netbackup?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can schedule an eject job to run after all your duplicate jobs.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73450

Andrew_Soc
Level 4

quote !

I can't see paying for software maintenance if this is the direction the product has gone

Cornish
Level 3

How to backup multiple servers, with different selections, on one job:

Select all your servers and create the job.

Once the job has been created, right click on a server and select edit backup.

Then you will beable to edit the selection just for that server.

Hope this helps.

Andrew_Soc
Level 4

ok but the order?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Doesn't address the OP's primary concern of how to schedule multiple duplicate jobs to the same tape, with an eject on the last to execute does it??