cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple tape drives

msnowdon
Level 3

Does Symantec Backup Exec 2010 support multiple tape drives? We have our main Tape Library across town for disaster recovery reasons. This can be a pain when we want to restore something quickly. I wanted to know if we could purchase a single tape drive to connect here at the main office where the servers are. The current library's drive supports LTO4 tapes.

Thanks

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes it will work without extra license as it is a standalone tape-unit.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Does Symantec Backup Exec 2010 support multiple tape drives?

Yes.  You can connect as many standalone drives to your media server as you wish,  with no extra licensing (like LEOs for loader drives)

The media server doesn't have to be a particularly hefty box either, just make sure you do not skimp on RAM

pkh
   VIP    Certified

We have our main Tape Library across town for disaster recovery reasons

Currently how do you back up your data on the main site to tape if you don't have a tape drive?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Mark,

If you only have 1 backup server in your environment, it's not going to be possible to connect that stand-alone tape drive to a server, and restore to it.

You'd obviously need a full installation of BE on your server you want to connect the drive to. There would be no licensing cost to attach that drive to a media server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Thanks, Craig

I guess I mis-read/speed-read the OP and missed that part about a "remote" tape drive

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...Any news here?

Thanks!

msnowdon
Level 3

Sorry, I didnt realize there were replies to my question. I have one backup server. I have a tape library connected to it across town via fibre channel. I was wondering if I could connect a second tape drive directly to it so I didnt have to go across town to restore something from a tape that is no longer in the library. I'm guessing I would need a SCSI tape drive.

Thanks

Mark

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes it will work without extra license as it is a standalone tape-unit.