cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Backup is Taking 2 tapes

Not applicable
How do I adjust my backup to only need 1 tape?

Thanks,

Cheryl S. Hamilton
3 REPLIES 3

Gil_Guzman
Level 3
Depends....don't you hate that answer? The number of tapes required to backup your data depends on two factors; one, the amount of data you are backing up, and two, the tape capacity you are using. If the amount of data exceeds the tape capacity then you need a tape drive that can handle this amount of data. This will require new hardware and new tapes. As an option, and this also depends on the tape drive model you are using, you can have the tape drive compress the data before it writes it to the tape saving you tape space. You may also run an Incremental backup as opposed to a full backup but you MUST run a full backup once a week, and then run Incremental backups the other days. Seems to me that you need to evaluate your tape backup needs and find a proper solution. Hope this helps.

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
This would occur if tape is fillled to the capacity and hence data is spanned to another tape. Incase you dont want the data to span to another tape, You can partition the slots so that it does not go to another tape but again it will ask you to manually insert the tape so that backup can continue.

For partition yo can refer to this technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/206843

Sagar_Kamat_2
Level 6
If the data that is backed up exceeds the tape capacity, it would always another tape to continue the backup.