cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Media keeps going offline ?

Michael_Shelton
Level 3
I've been using 10d with a Exabyte 10 tape library for about two months now. The system is working great and backups my data quickly and has been very reliable. But I have an issue with some of my tapes in my media sets randomly going offline and being unused.

For example - I'm using one tape for just point in time backups. The tape can hold 77gb of data uncompressed and I have about 6gb on the tape. So, yesterday, I want to use that media set to make another backup, since I have plenty of room. The backup works fine and grabs what's tagged as a blank tape, not the tape I have been using and is the only media in the group. That tape is now offline and tagged as blank media ?? Has anyone else had this problem ? If so, how was it resolved ?
7 REPLIES 7

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Install latest device drivers.

Please refer the following link:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/281696.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

R_H_2
Level 5
You may also want to make sure your drive and library are up to date on their firmware levels. You will need to stop the BE services (BEstop.bat) to do that and reboot when done. After that, you should reconfig BE which is a great time to install those drivers in the other post.

Michael_Shelton
Level 3
So far, this seems to have worked. Over the past week, I didn't have any newly recycled media go offline. I try to keep up with the firmware as well. Thanks to both of you.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Michael,

Update us on the issue and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Michael_Shelton
Level 3
Just getting back to this issue, but I'm still having a problem with this. I have the latest firmware on the drive and library and all the patches on 10.1. This becomes a problem, because I have tapes being overwritten, tapes being marked as scratch and other tapes being read as blank when I know there is information on them. I think Exabyte and Symantec need to get together.

Michael_Shelton
Level 3
Problem has returned and I have even newer tape drivers.

This is required because I reopened the problem.Message was edited by:
Michael Shelton

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Do you receive any events in the event logs?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.