cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS Backup

Michael_Nicko1
Level 3
I have moved data to my buffalo TeraStation Pro. I want to back some of that up to my Link station. I was backing it up from my server to the link station using backup to disk folders. But I cannot select the folders in the remote selections window and I cannot install the remote agent either. Is ther any way to do this with BackupExec 10.1 Rev5629? My server is a windows 2000 SP4, with limited HD space, 30gb. We have so much active data to store there. any suggestions that dont require a new server. We bought the NAS TeraStation to avoid that. I have read in a forum about Veritas Netbackup , what is that? Is it an addon to BackupExec? Any information would be helpful.
15 REPLIES 15

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Michael_Nicko1
Level 3
mr. putnam,
there was nothing displayed in your message.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Netbackup is the "big brother" of Backup Exec, for medium and large enterprise.
I don't know the answer to your main question though sorry. I assume the TerraStation doesn't run Windows Storage Server?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Even tho you cannot install the RemoteAgent code on the NAS box, if it is running what BackupExec thinks is a ServerOS, you must still install a RemoteAgent serial on the Media Server before you can connect

Michael_Nicko1
Level 3
Mr. Putnam.
I got the appropriate license and installed them. But now the back up fails with this error:
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- GEATERA
The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine GEATERA.The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.Unable to initialize Remote Agent

Backup- \\GEATERA\A-2004 Active Projects
The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine GEATERA.The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.Unable to attach to \\GEATERA\A-2005.V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec...Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine GEATERA.The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.Unable to attach to \\GEATERA\A-2006.V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec...Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine GEATERA.The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.Unable to attach to \\GEATERA\A-2007.V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec...Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine GEATERA.The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.Unable to attach to \\GEATERA\Geostam.V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec...Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.
I Thought that with the license in stalled i would be bale to back these up not just select/connect to the folders on my Buffalo Terastation. 
I am in dire straits because nothing is backing up. i appreciate any help.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I assume (I know, I know) that you are browsing to the NAS in the BackupSelection Pane?

Have you tried creating a User Defined share  and connecting to that?

Michael_Nicko1
Level 3
Ken,
Yes I did. I am now trying a user defined selections. I am running a test backup right now on one of the listed problem folders. It has about 800mb of info, so i am not sure how long that will take. I will let you know.

Michael_Nicko1
Level 3
Ken,
I set up the userdefined shares. My test back up of one of my folders worked with exceptions:

Backup- GEATERA
The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine GEATERA.The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.Unable to initialize Remote Agent
But it looks to have backed up the files. But the next backup that covers more folders and data failed.
Job ended: Saturday, April 14, 2007 at 6:33:02 AMCompleted status: FailedFinal error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.Final error category: Resource ErrorsFor additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899

It then lists the folders that it could not touch. Virtually not data was backed up. Do I have to do each folder separate, at separate times? 
I am at a loss that backupexec can be so difficult to use with NAS devices. Any other suggestions? This is a small business, I can't go back and ask for thousands of more dollars to fix this.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From the Backup Selections Pane, right click the NAS, and choose "connect as", give it an admin account on the NAS box and it should grab all the data

There is nothing you can do about the complaint that it cannot find the remote agent, since you cannot install one.

Michael_Nicko1
Level 3
Ken,
Not worried about the complaint. I have checked and I have an account that has full access to these folders. I will see what happens tonight.

Jason_at_Interf
Not applicable
I too am having the same issue.  I performed everything listed, including connecting as the admin account for the Buffalo NAS, but cannot back it up.  Is there an other ideas?  The Terrastation is configured to use Active directory, none of those accounts work using Symantec backup, however windows NTBackup works fine.

Thanks for your help!!!

Michael_Nicko1
Level 3
My problem is that one schedualed job runs fine, then the next one that runs a few hours fails, saying there is no remote agent installed. Why would it fail? The one before it ran and finished with the exception. This is infuriating.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
There have been several complaints about backing up FROM a TerraStation, now that I think about it.  Don't recall if there was ever a definitive answer.  Try searching the forums for "terrastation" and/or "buffalo"

Steve_Liu
Level 3
You cannot backup data that resides on a NAS using BE without using NDMP. 
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237737

NDMP option is only available on BE 11 or NetBackup.  NDMP option for NetBackup is around $8,000.

cpo1
Level 1
Accredited

I was always allowed to backup a share on a NAS with backup Exec without any Agent.
Since the 3-3-2018, it does not work anymore for 1 client. I will open a case with Veritas.