cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Backup and Restore difficulties

tmelv79
Level 4

Hi,

We have a Dell Fluid FS8600 NAS and are using the NDMP option within Backup Exec 2014 to backup the NAS over NDMP.

The backup job has been running and backing up TBs of data over the past few weeks but has started to give an error of late. The error is: -

"NDMP Log Message: Mover: Data connection socket read error. NDMP Mover Halted: Internal Error NDMP Data Halted: Aborted "

A full backup normally would backup over 10TB whereas the same backup job is failing after a few hundred GB with this message.

where can I find further information about this error? Is there a specific NDMP log file within Backup Exec?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Colin.

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is the FluidFS that you are using? The HCL only lists FluidFS 2.0 and 3.0

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Expand the failed job log. It usually contains more specific information under the NDMP section.

tmelv79
Level 4

More specific info in log as follows: -

NDMP Log Message: Level 0 backup of /NAS_VOL1 started at Mon Nov  9 11:26:32 2015
NDMP Log Message: Mover: Data connection socket read error.
NDMP Mover Halted: Internal Error
NDMP Data Halted: Aborted

================  NDMP ENVIRONMENT  ================
FILESYSTEM=/NAS_VOL1
HIST=Y
TYPE=dump
UPDATE=Y
LEVEL=0
===============  NDMP ENVIRONMENT END  ===============

tmelv79
Level 4

I will also attach a copy of the log.

tmelv79
Level 4

We are running FluidFS version 4.0.003214

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Per the Compatibility Lists, the FluidFS version isn't supported by BE.

tmelv79
Level 4

Is support for FluidFS version 4.0 backup and restore using NDMP on the roadmap for any future versions of Backup Exec. I believe it is also not on the Backup Exec 15 HCL?

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

Certification for FluidFS 4.0 was recently requested by Dell.  It is now in our queue of things to be certified.  According to Dell, FluidFS 4.0 works fine with Backup Exec.  Therefore, I would speculate that your issue is unrelated to FluidFS 4.0, unless this issue started if/when you upgraded your FluidFS version.

How long have you been running FluidFS 4.0? 

What else might have changed in your environment when this error appeared?

Have you rebooted the FS8600 and the Backup Exec server since this error appeared?

tmelv79
Level 4

No, this issue did not start due to an upgrade of a previous version of FluidFS - we have always had version 4.0. Backups had been running fine (although we could never restore from those backups for which a call is open with Symantec / Veritas).

We have been running FluidFS version 4 for several months now.

I will reboot the backup server now. Not as easy to reboot the FS8600.

Thanks.