cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Backup with NETAPP v9

Eric_FR
Level 3

Hi,

I trying to add a Netapp filer as NDMP data server into Backup Exec 16 (fully updated on 2016-02-21).

I always get an error message "permission denied". See attachment of a print screen.

The filer hosts several SVMs. ndmp node-scope-mode is disabeled.

I have enabled debug mode on the filer.

The error is:

00000010.00044551 023277ac Tue Feb 21 2017 10:36:54 +01:00 [kern_ndmpd:info:4145] A [src/rdb/SLM.cc 2511 (0x810404200)]: SLM 1000: current _sitelist is now: SLV <<1,1193>, 9b38433d-b29d-11e4-a313-00a0987d2136>.
00000010.00044552 023277ac Tue Feb 21 2017 10:36:54 +01:00 [kern_ndmpd:info:4145] [41423]  ERROR: MD5 AUTH FAILED MD5 digest mismatch for 'backupexec'                    -- bad password

I have tried with different password length without any success (8 and 16 chars).

The NDMP backup is working fine with another backup solution (IBM TSM).

Any idea is welcome on this topic.

Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I received confirmation that we are working on support for OnTap 9.x but that it is not currently supported and that the symptoms seen currently do relate to lack of access.

Unfortunately I cannot confirm a planned date for when we will provide an update to support this version.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Colin_Weaver

This might be the OnTap version you are using (if the v9 in your title is the OnTap version) - although to be honest I am not sure I would expect to see an authentication error against an OnTap difference so it might be something else.

The Backup Exec 16 HCL only list 7.x.x and 8.x.x revisions as supported currently.

Thank you for your reply.

I confirm that we are using OnTap version 9.1.

Colin_Weaver

I received confirmation that we are working on support for OnTap 9.x but that it is not currently supported and that the symptoms seen currently do relate to lack of access.

Unfortunately I cannot confirm a planned date for when we will provide an update to support this version.

Any updates?

William Fulmer

Colin_Weaver

The compatibility lists will be updated when we officially support it.

Thanks Colin.

I figured that will be the case. Now that I have a customer in this predicament - is there anything currently in the works to support this or an ETA of a fix?

Are there any known (supported or unsupported) workarounds to get this working?

Can a mapped drive from the media server to those CIFS share be utilized for backup purposes, until a supported workaround/fix/compatibility is developed?

William Fulmer

NetApp ONTAP 9.0 will be supported in the next BE Feature Pack, expected next quarter. ONTAP 9.1 has not yet been qualified.

Colin_Weaver

You can use CIFS - disable NDMP within Ontap, enable selection of user shares inside Backup Exec and then create a file server object for the host of the share in the Backup and Restore section of BE.

This is a 'work-around' but by no means a fix. Leveraging Backup Exec and File Server/Share backups will allow for a FULL backup to take place. Unfortunately, this is NOT a viable solution as this will not allow for any sort of differential (or incremental) backups. Without the use of NDMP or a RAWS agent, only fulls are supported.

William Fulmer

Any update here?

William Fulmer

Colin_Weaver

Against BE 16 FP1,   NetApp 9.0 is now supported.

Colin_Weaver

The Backup Exec 16 HCL now confirms support for OnTap 9.1