cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP error using Linux Agent

Daniel_Houle
Not applicable
I've installed BE11d as a trialware. I need to be able to backup a couple linux servers.

A) I can't install ralus on Fedora Core 6. It seems the g++ compat library doesn't have the libc6 library. I can't run it on that machine.

B) My other system has FC4, and ralus installed no problem. However, when I select the server in the backup list, I get asked for account selection, and I do that. But afterwards, I get a popup window that says:

"An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of .
An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem."

Ok, so how can I go about to find what that unknown error in the NDMP subsystem is?

Thanks for any help
7 REPLIES 7

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Check in the SCL for 11d to see if the versions you use are listed as compatible there:

Symantec Backup Exec 11d (11.0) for Windows Servers - Software Compatibility List (SCL)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/284493

In case they are not, then the ralus agent might get installed, but we cannot guarantee its functionality.

Paul_Crosbie
Level 2
I'm running Fedora 6 and RALUS with no problems.

I had to install package compat-libstdc++-33 to get it to work though.

Volker_S_
Not applicable
do you have solved this problem ?

ChadG
Level 3
hi,

We've just installed version 11 ... and I'm getting the error "NDMP subsystem errror" on the Windows console when I try to connect to the Linux agent. 

we are running centOS 4.x .... fully up-to-date.

Does anyone know how to get around this problem?

thanks,
Chad

Message Edited by ChadG on 06-28-200710:26 AM

Sherry_Abercrom
Not applicable
I am getting this same error when trying to connect to a Mas OSX server.  I have successfully installed the RAM per the instructions in the Admin guide for 11d, when I go to create a new backup selection list, that server does show up in the Favorite Resources/Macintosh Systems list.  The account I'm using to authenticate with is an administrator account on the Mac server.  BE is trying to connect using the FQDN of the server, however, this Mac has not been added to the Active Directory domain.  (The guy that set it up went to Mac training, and said that it was not a good idea to add it to the domain. He's since left the company, so were stuck at this point.)  Does the Mac need to be on the domain in order for BE to access it? 

Erik_Fridell_2
Level 3
Sherry--

I recently worked with Symantec tech support to resolve this issue myself. I have an OS X server running 10.3.9 that is tied into our Windows 2003 Active Directory. Here are the steps that I took:

1. Install MAC remote agent on MAC server with CD.
2. Edited firewall on MAC server to allow any connection from BE server (could probably tune to specific ports, but I have not pursued it yet).
3. Added the following entries to the host file on the OS X server:
    OSX_Server_IP    OSX_Server_NetbiosName
    OSX_Server_IP    OSX_Server_FQDN
4. Added the following entries to the host file on the BE server (although I don't think this is completely necessary since the MAC server published itself successfully, but I haven't tried removing the entry):
    OSX_Server_IP    OSX_Server_FQDN
5. Used my domain admin backup account without DOMAIN\ or @FQDN to authenticate. When you look at the domain account that you want to use in "Workgroup Manager" on the MAC server, it has a "Short Name" list, and the first entry is the username without any sort of domain qualifier. This seems to be the only way to get a domain account to work.

After that, backup your data! I only just got this to work yesterday, and my full backup failed because the remote agent decided to crash, but I at least got to the point where I can attempt to pull the data. I also configured a separate job just for the MAC server so that I can do full backups and differential backups based on modified time and not the archive bit, since OS X doesn't support the archive bit backup method.

Hope this information helps!

Erik

cjbartram
Not applicable
I've just had this as well, and yes, it was a name resolution issue. In my case the OSX server souldn't resolve it's own hostname. This first showed up in the agent install, where to get past the system checks I had to use 'localhost', but then found I couldn't browse the OSX server from the BE server. Adding the OSX server's own FQDN to /etc/hosts fixed it. I suspect it wouldn't have been a probelm if the Apple consultancy firm we used knew the first thing about IP networks and had got the hostname all tied up properly in DNS.

Agent backup is much faster (and better) that the dodgy SAMBA share arrangement we'd been using.