cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP help

brains613
Level 2

I am trying to backup files from a NAS container via NDMP. I am able to add the NAS as a backup source. The credentials are verified. But when I try to make selections, I only see the NAS conatiners themselves, I can't browse the contents any further to make specific selections.

The NAS is a Dell FS7600, and I'm told by Dell support that it is configured properly for NDMP. I have the NDMP license installed.

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks now, and could use some help. I'm hoping it's just something simple I've overlooked.

I can take a couple screenshots if necessary.

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In the past, for NDMP backups to work you had to select the whole volume (which I assume is what you mean by a container) and then use exclude statements to deselect things (and the format of the exclude statements had to match the 'pattern' that the hardware vendor provides in their NDMP documentation. I am not 100% sure if this still applies or whether the specific hardware  (device Operating System) you are using has such a limitation.

Note: as well as the exclude stament format being critical, I think there was possibly a maximum number of excludes for different vendors and the exclude was very basic as (for instance against NetApps) you could not enter exact paths which could cause you to exclude something in an unexpected path that matched the pattern.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

EDIT: I've removed my previous post...the FS7600 is supported for NDMP. Have you licensed NDMP on the media server? also check the Best Practices on the link below: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO74435 Thanks!

brains613
Level 2

Yeah. I checked on the HCL for it after I started having trouble. Thanks for the link. I tried changing the NDMP port on the BE server and the FS7600, just to see if I got a different result. I couldn't even add the NAS as a backup source then, so I know it's talking over 10000. I also checked the others on that list, and am in compliance with everything listed.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Are you running a firewall on the media server? If so, disable it and try again.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In the past, for NDMP backups to work you had to select the whole volume (which I assume is what you mean by a container) and then use exclude statements to deselect things (and the format of the exclude statements had to match the 'pattern' that the hardware vendor provides in their NDMP documentation. I am not 100% sure if this still applies or whether the specific hardware  (device Operating System) you are using has such a limitation.

Note: as well as the exclude stament format being critical, I think there was possibly a maximum number of excludes for different vendors and the exclude was very basic as (for instance against NetApps) you could not enter exact paths which could cause you to exclude something in an unexpected path that matched the pattern.

brains613
Level 2

This might be the right answer. I was able to backup some other containers, just by choosing the whole thing. During the restore, I was able to select more granular options. The problem is that the container in question is 18TB, and I only need to grab parts of it at a time. I'll have to play with the exclusions a bit.

I appreciate the suggestions. Cheers.