cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP tape drive configuration options?

fl
Level 4
Hello,

I'm new to BE 11d and NDMP option.  From what I've been reading it sounds like the only way to backup a NetApp filer is to have a tape unit attached directly to the NetApp filer itself.  Unfortunately I only have 1 BE server with 1 tape library connected to the BE server which currently is backing about 20 windows server and I need to now also backup the NetApp filer using the same BE server and tape library.

I appreciate any and all suggestions and options that have worked in the real world.

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

Ricky_Evans
Level 3
My experience with NDMP so far has definately been on the negative side, both in use and support. The agent itself doesn't work the way anyone seems to think it does, which wouldn't be such an issue if there was actually clear literature and/or support from Symantec to clarify this and help clients design a better solution for themselves.

From my experience so far, as best I understand:

1. The tape/storage device your trying to use for NDMP must be directly connected to your Netapp

2. The same tape/storage device cannot be used for both NDMP and LAN backups - it's one or the other

3. If you do NDMP backups from your Netapp, you MUST restore to another NDMP device - that is: if your Netapp blows up and you desperately need to restore data, you CANNOT Redirect the restoration to a windows server or similar

I made a dozen or so phone calls to Symantec trying to speak to someone that actually understood what I was talking about. Funnily enough, the only way I could get an answer was by speaking to a pre-sales engineer.

Message Edited by Ricky Evans on 12-17-2007 10:34 PM

fl
Level 4
To me that kinda defects the whole purpose of a NDMP agent to centralize backup if another tape library is dedicated to just the NAS.  I know that on Legato Networker you can have 1 backup server with 1 tape library and it can backup both NDMP and Non-NDMP to the same tape library and the tape library does not have to be connected to the NAS.

Has anyone had any success with CIFS or mapped drive backup of the NAS shares?