cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEOs T24 and Backup Exec

kha
Level 4

Have any one use Backup exec 16 or newer with Overland Tape Library NEOs T24?

Can you share your experience with using those combination?

I am looking to purchase a new library backup tape, NEOs T24 is one of the options.

On the Overland website, it says T24 support encryption.  Is that a hardware-based or software-based encryption?

I am confused reading the description on this page, saying it's hardware-based encryption:

http://www.tandbergdata.com/us/index.cfm/support/discontinued-products/eol-tape-automation/storageli...

The Capacity on Demand (COD) feature allows users to easily increase capacity (from 12 to 24 slots) as their data grows. The hardware-based encryption capabilities of LTO-4/5/6 combined with a choice of SCSI, SAS or FC connectivity provides customers with flexibility and peace of mind. The StorageLibrary T24 allows users to add drives or upgrade to next-generation technology to increase their library’s performance when they need it.

While on this User Manual (page 3), it doesn't mention about "hardware-based encryption".  But it does mention about application-managed data encryption for LTO5 and LTO-5.  I am interested in the LTO-6

http://www.tandbergdata.com/default/assets/File/PDFs/T24_User_Manual_1017472_D.pdf

Hope to get some inputs ...

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi, Before you buy verify that the library is supported by BE 16 by checking out the HCL. See below: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/BE_16_HCL That encryption is provided by the application and enabled by the use of LTO5/LTO6. Check the BE 16 Admin Guide around how to use encryption correctly. Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

T10 (a standards body, T10.org) based hardware encryption is a feature of LTO drives since generation 4.

AME (application managed encryption) is an included feature of Backup Exec to use hardware encryption in LTO4 and higher.  This works with any LTO4+ tape drive, either stand-alone or in automation.

LME (library managed encryption) is a library specific feature to use hardware encryption in libraries with LTO4 and higher.  Disaster recovery might require similar hardware & licensing at the recovery site to handle the decryption.

AME and LME do the same encryption.  The difference is all in the key management.

Software encryption is an included Backup Exec feature.  Software encryption can generally be used with any tape drive or backup target.

Generally, hardware encryption is the best choice, as there is very little (if any) performance hit to have it enabled.

The choice between LME and AME for encryption key management gets into some specific customer requirements.  Frequentlly LME is a paid option from your tape library vendor, but some customers prefer LME.  I believe AME is significantly more popular.  Generally, one could always "upgrade" to LME if the need arises.