cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Restoration Logs

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Team,

we are using BE 12.5. 3 months back i have restored some data's and now i need the restoration job log for audit purpose. I checked the server it's having last 2 months logs only. Is there any way to get the logs??

-- vicky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The joblogs are kept in the Data directory under the BE installation directory.  They are not in the Catalog directory which only holds catalog data.

Check your joblog retention period.  Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Backup Exec Settings and under Database Maintenance, you should be able to see how long you have chosen to keep joblogs.  If your job is older than the joblog retention period, then the joblog has been purged.  Unless you have a old backup of the Data directory, then there is no way to get it back.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

If you have a backup of the Backup exec directory you can do a restore to get the .xml job log for the date needed. 

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi,

we are not taking backup of BE directory. where we will get the .xml log file. can you share me the path.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Those are saved in the Catalogs folder. You might have set the retention for the catalogs to 2 months...the default is 90 days. With no backup of the Catalogs folder, you have no way to show the restore took place, unless it is still showing under Job Monitor.

Thanks!

lmosla
Level 6

The path is (\\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs) but the default is 90days before the catalogs are deleted. In Backup Exec you can check Tools>Options>Database Maintenance to see how long your job history is configured to be kept.  

There is a good discussion on a similiar topic here: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/job-log-tab-missing

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Can you share the File\folder path in catalog folder...

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi,

I have the last 2 years files in that catalogs folder. How to identicy the restore job log file.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...well, you can't. Unless you go open each and every file around the time of the restore if you sort by date.

Thanks!

vigneshwaran
Level 6

I checked the .xml files but unable to find the restore job. I get the backup log files only. there is some .fh files are available, what's that?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The joblogs are kept in the Data directory under the BE installation directory.  They are not in the Catalog directory which only holds catalog data.

Check your joblog retention period.  Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Backup Exec Settings and under Database Maintenance, you should be able to see how long you have chosen to keep joblogs.  If your job is older than the joblog retention period, then the joblog has been purged.  Unless you have a old backup of the Data directory, then there is no way to get it back.

vigneshwaran
Level 6

It's mentioned 60days only..

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If your restoration job was run more than 60 days ago, the joblog is gone.  Unless you have a backup of the Data directory, it is not possible to recover it.

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Thanks to all for your posts...