cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Suggestions for Large Remote Backup Problem

AKSM-IT
Level 3

Looking for some suggestions.

We are using Backup Exec 2012.  I have several remote locations that I need to backup parts of their systems.  Each location varies a little but I am trying to backup between 200 and 500gig for a full backup and follow-up with incrementals.  The problem is the full backup is taking 4-8 days with rates between 9 and 15 meg/min.  With that kind of time frame I think you can see the potential issues.  Any blip (network communications, file changes (especially deletes), etc) causes the backup to fail and it won't resume where it left off.  I always have to resubmit from scratch.

Things I have tried so far:

I broke down the Backups into smaller pieces but one directory is the largest and can not be broken down into smaller sets.

Tried running Windows Backup locally and then backing up that file with Backup Exec. Still takes a really long time and fails with network errors.

Scenario:  I am in Ohio.  One of my remote locations is in California.  Wondering if Symantec Backup Exec can backup California in full to a local drive and then allow me to run incrementals which will store here in Ohio.  The thought being my backup rate would be better and only limited by local switch speed vs ISP bandwidth issues.  While the incrementals are running, I could transfer the data from the California drive via FTP with resume capabilities or have the local drive shipped to me for storage to tape.

Does anyone know if this is possible with the Backup Exec 2012 product or have another suggestion?

Thx,

Douglas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Wondering if Symantec Backup Exec can backup California in full to a local drive and then allow me to run incrementals which will store here in Ohio.

No.  You cannot do this.

===========

If you do client-side dedup as was suggested earlier,  you may still encounter problems if your line quality is poor or your bandwidth is such that you are unable to complete the backup within your backup window even with dedup.

Before you proceed further, you might want to get a partner to run the BEDAT for you to see whether dedup will help in your situation.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/introducing-backup-exec-deduplication-assessment-tool

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I am not familiar with Backup Exec. Doe it have a deduplicating client? If so then that is a possibility. I know NetBackup does and that is our intent to use it on some of our remote locations. The other option is a NetBackup appliance like a 5220 and then do AIR with throttling. Sucks to have to use two solutions which is why we went with NetBackup instead of Backup Exec even for the littler sites.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Wondering if Symantec Backup Exec can backup California in full to a local drive

Which OS is running on your remote computers? RMAL is an option if running with Linux. Remote server running linux with huge full backup, then RMAL should really help.

Have you lokked at using CASO option?

Keep the Central Admin Server at Main site and Managed Media Servers at remote locations. If you have many of them you can have MMS at locations where you have large backups in size. You can have a storage configured on MMS servers and save the data over there.

As already advised, Using client dedup is another option and client resources woud be utilized for this. if that is not a concern for you then you can think about using that option also. 

Combining both CASo and Dedup solutions together would give you the best results as you can have optimized duplication inplace. 

Hope you will get all the required information about above mentioned options from here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5215

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Wondering if Symantec Backup Exec can backup California in full to a local drive and then allow me to run incrementals which will store here in Ohio.

No.  You cannot do this.

===========

If you do client-side dedup as was suggested earlier,  you may still encounter problems if your line quality is poor or your bandwidth is such that you are unable to complete the backup within your backup window even with dedup.

Before you proceed further, you might want to get a partner to run the BEDAT for you to see whether dedup will help in your situation.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/introducing-backup-exec-deduplication-assessment-tool

AKSM-IT
Level 3

Our remote servers are Windows 2008.  My Local BE Server is Windows 2003.

Have not read anything on CASO.  Short staff today due to flu.  Will try to read up on it over the weekend.

Thx.

AKSM-IT
Level 3

Appreciate it.  Walked into the job with BE 2012.  Trying to make it work but appreciate the suggestion of NetBackup.  Will look into it.

Thx.

AKSM-IT
Level 3

Bummer - But I can dream can't I? : )

Not familiar with BEDAT.  Will look into it.

Thx.