Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Symantec Solutions

SukhoiMk30
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I need Symantec Solutions, for the following:

1. Symantec software that can archive the set of files which have been used via external storage. Lets say, if I'm using a USB Stick, every file that has been accessed, moved/copied/edited can be archived automatically in a location on the same machine or on a remote machine.

What Symantec Solutions can generate reports for a similar situation.

2. Symantec Software that can archive the set of files/documents that have been sent for printing. 

What Symantec Solutions can generate reports for a similar situation.

Your help is much appreciated.

Awaiting Response.

Regards,

SukhoiMK30

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. I think DLO would fit the bill 2. I don't think there is any BE software that does that

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you might want to look at Enteprise Vault:

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise-vault/

...you can also ask the same set of questions on that forum:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/archiving-and-ediscovery/forums/enterprise-vault

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Please clarify your use of the word "Archive" as it sometimes does not translate very well between countries

for instance

1) Archive can just mean the same as a backup (file is copied to long term storage but also left in original location)

2) Archive can also mean move to long term storage and no longer keep in original location (either with or without leaving a stub or link to pull the file back on demand)

Against your 2 scenarios I donlt think there is a file attribute (in any file system) that knows a document has been printed as such there is unlikely to be any backup product that can do this - so your scenario 2 is not going to be possible. (independently of how you are using the word Archive)

For your scenario 1 - I don't think DLO or EV can write to USB. In theory SSR (Symantec System Recovery) and BE (Backup Exec) can but then I am not sure either would meet your other requirements - you will have to setup some proof of concept tests

SukhoiMk30
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Colin:

Archival here can be referred to Keeping the file at original location and the file is copied to a long term storage. Logging and Reporting these events are important add-ons to the scenario.

On your reference, can we have symantec support to test the scenario/ clarify with Backup exec/System Recovery.

Saving files being sent for printing is another case, where we may have to test with symantec solutions. I'm still not clear on what product can be a solution to this or this cannot be worked out.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Keeping the file at original location and moving to long term storage is just a Standard Backup, as such you do not need EV, also DLO will not write to USB. Both BE and SSR can wrote to USB however you would really need to understand the operation of both products to decide which to choose - hence YOU need to do proof of concept againt your individual requirements. (We cannot really do it for you)

Note: As you appear to be registered as a partner you should perhaps use your account manager for any assistance, however also be aware that Backup Exec Technical Support do not actively take part in Proof of Concept testing as this would come under Consultancy and not Support

Please be aware as I don't think there is any attribute in either operating systems or file systems that records if something has been printed. As such  I doubt you will find a backup product that can meet your printer suggestion (either from Symantec or anyone else)

There might be security auditing software that can maintain records of printing, but then you would have to find a way to confirm that output of the audit loga into a backup job submission which would almost certainly involve scripting