cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need guidance with recovery of server 2008 domain controller

ppic
Level 3

I am testing my recovery procedures for disaster recovery and not able to get a successful recovery. My server is windows server 2008 enterprise with exchange 2007 it has the roles of DNS DHCP is the PDC. I have followed the instructions in the link http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/309696.htm they seem to be specific to server 2003 or server 2000. Is there a different procedure I should follow for recovering a server 2008 domain controller. I am recovering to new hardware that is identical to the one from the backup. Backup exec is installed on the hardware I am recovering to not a remote restore. Anyone have any advice?

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I will assume that ONLY the base OS is installed on the test server.  We must have backups of the System Drive (mostly C-Drive), system state and the shadow Copy componants. I also assume that backup exec is installed on the TEST W2008 Server. In this senario we are trying to perform a Disaster Recovery of a Stand Alone DC with Exchange 2007 on top.

Please let me know if this information is right OR wrong, if wrong specify the correct environment.

ppic
Level 3
Dev T that is correct. I have installed ws 2008 with backupexec 12.5 on the disaster server. This is the PDC with one other domain controller that is not being recovered.

ppic
Level 3
When I follow the instructions in the article http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/309696.htm a box pops up says you must restart server to complete process. when I click OK another warning pops up with the info

"The job failed with the following error: The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again"

The link for more information points to document V-79-57344-850. in the Job Log for errors this is the error

Restore- \\servername\System?State \\servername\Stem?State
error writing file data.
V-79-57344-65072 - connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation canceled.

ppic
Level 3
After working with tech support for weeks I found a solution to my issue in a technical document .
when choosing the selections to restore deselect the boot folder from the c: during the restore.