Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help for backup stretagy

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi All,

one of my customer have following server 

1 exchange server on citrix VM Data is 1 TB.
1 File server on citrix vm data is 500 gb 
1 DB server 500 gb 

as citrix is not supported by Symantec Backup Exec 
i am going to install agent on each VM. 

i have file and exchange  vm on single Server sharing single LAN card,now what should be my backup streatgy 

what is the best possible i can do in this scenerio to shorter backup window
i dont have any storage at present,i will use RDX at present 

Regards
9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can look at using a FULL/INCR backup which will shorten your backups, or even look at a dedupe strategy (if RDX is supported for dedupe...check the BE 2012 HCL for this).

Both are going to give you shorter backup runs (until the FULL in the first suggestion). the more a dedupe backup runs, the better the dedupe ratio and the less that gets backed up.

Thanks!

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

what is that INCR backup

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

got it abt INCR

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

INCR = Incremental

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Dedup is not supported for removable drives.

You would have to back up this VM as if it is a physical machine.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Full on weekends and incrementals on Weekdays..

Rest depends on how fast the data is travelling from citrix to the Backup exec server and backup exec server to RDX

Deduplication can save storage space for you however at the cost of time taken to process the deduplicated data.

Consider Non GRT backups for Exchange if the client does not have a requirement of individual mail restores.

CraigV

...GRT-based restores are recommended by almost every vendor. It is a major selling point allowing online backups and restores. Not sure why you would recommend going against this?

Thanks!

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Very True Craig, agree in order to shorten the backup time its a hit in the restore time window as you need to restore the entire DB to an RSG and extract emails.

Its not recommended but it can shorten the backup time however it will also be an online backup.

Its a choice we can leave with the client if they want a faster backup or a faster restore.

Its the reason why we see a check box to disable GRT!

CraigV

...from Exchange 2007 onwards non-GRT backups aren't supported. In this case, a shorter backup is going to cause longer restore times. GRT backups/restores are the middle ground. If the vendor recommends using this (and only using non-GRT to basically test problem resolution), then it's best to consider that seriously.

Thanks!