cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in backup to tape guide for BE 2010 ?

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi Everyone,

I’ve successfully installed the latest Symantec Backup Exec 2010 and have also successfully performing backup (D2D only). Can anyone please shed some light here about where to look for the documentation to make backup to tape and it’s best practice in using tape drive with Backup Exec 2010 ?

Thanks 
10 REPLIES 10

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
It is very simple if you are able to do backups on D2D then tape backup is not a problem at all. First you have to install the stand alone drive or robotic library to backup exec server. Once you have it installed you should be able to see it in the Device manager. If it shows fine in the device manager then install the symantec tape driver by opening the symantec console and click on tools -wizards- device configuration wizard and install the drivers.
Reboot the server and robotic library after that and you can select the tape drive as well to do the backups.

Symanticus
Level 6
Yes Sazz,

The tape can be detected and i have successfully test write one directory, what I'd like to know/learn is that how to make the backup plan of:

automatically ask for tape drive every Friday night 5PM for weekly full backup write on Friday midnight and then eject and catalog the tape for archival / easy restore.

that is the missing bit that I'd like to know. 

Symanticus
Level 6

sksujeet
Level 6

Ok as you want to run it on friday 5 pm then please in the job properties schedule it for the same time.
If it is a stand alone drive then you select the option to eject the tape as in the library the eject is not the option.

If you want to restore it from the same media server then you can just click on restore and able to see the data as catalog information is still there.
If you want to restore this tape on the other media server then you have to run the inventory and catalog on the same before running the restore

Symanticus
Level 6
thanks for your help man,

however I'm still struggling in getting that document from: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

Below is the original error message

Error 2 (net::ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.

sksujeet
Level 6

What you want from that site as I also tried and it is not working

JamesBergJr
Level 2
I actually just downloaded the BE 2010 to do some testing on making a possible purchase, and am interested in how to get this configured to backup to our Dell PowerVault Tape Drive. I tried the ftp site and couldn't get the Admin manual downloaded.

In terms of getting the driver or robotic library installed, is that a separate purchase I need to make, or just configuration settings I can make in the program itself? The machine I am currently testing on has a SCSI tape drive installed which appears in Device Manager, but when browsing for a destination, the drive does not appear.

Thanks.

sksujeet
Level 6
if you are using only 1 drive then you need not to purchase anything. Are you using stand alone drive?
In the device tab of BE what you see there?

JamesBergJr
Level 2
The current machine I am testing on has a single tape drive installed directly in the machine with a scsi connection to the motherboard. For the production network, we are using a stand-alone mutli-tape changer drive connected by scsi to our file server (which hosts the current backup central management program).

On the test machine with the installed drive, the drive shows up in device manager, but does not appear in Explorer, and thus does not show up during the Backup Wizard where you choose the spot the image will be saved to. I have looked around the interface and cannot find a device tab anywhere. The only device related info I have been able to find is the Manage Backup Destination option in the Tasks menu.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
@James - Do start a new discussion for your problem so that it can get the attention that it deserves.