cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with MS Exchange Agent

NewUser01
Level 2

Greetings,

I am a newbie here and my very first post regarding to Symantec Backup Exec product.  We're currently using Commvault as our enterprise backup solution.  We're looking at different product to evaluate and perhaps switching to that product.  Symantec Backup Exec 2014 is fist on my list to evaluate, especially for MS Exchange.

I have downloaded and installed BE 2014 trial version.  During this install, I did not see anything for Microsoft Exchange product, such as an agent of any kind.  Am I missing something?  I did see MS Agent, which I installed it and was able to fully utilized that, but I can't seem to find the Exchange agent on Symantec website or on the eval distribution media. 

Where do I find the MS Exchange agent and how do I install this?  I am new to this product - Help!!

Thank you,

Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Unless you have deleted the agent or updated BE you don't have to push out the remote agent. When you backup the Exchange Server make sure you select the Microsoft Information Store. This will backup Exchange and truncate the log. If you don't see the Information Store, them you have not enabled the Exchange agent option

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need the Agent for Applications and Databases, that includes Exchange.

In order to backup Exchange with the agent, you need to push the RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows) to the Exchange server.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

To evaluate Exchange Agent in trial mode you need to enable the "Agent for App and Database" option.

In BE console, click on the home button -> Installation and License -> Install Options and licenses ->

place a checkmark against "Agent for App and Database."

For Best Practices of BE2014 Agent for Exchange refer to the below link.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74428

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is a bit confusing,but there is only one physical remote agent to push out to the remote server.  This agent contains all the capabilities of agents to backup things like Exchange and these capabilities are referred to as Exchange agent, SQL agent, etc.  To unable/unlock these application agent capabilities, you need to install at least 1 Agent for Applications and Databases agent licence in the media server.

Since you are using the trial version, you can just add the option to your trial.  Remember you only have 60 days for you trial.  To continue using the agent, you need to purchase and install a proper agent licence.

NewUser01
Level 2

I've reinstalled the trail version and select Agent for Apps and database option.  When I went to push out the agent to the remote server, it tell me that the remote agent has been installed (from previous run) and no need to update.

What am I doing wrong?  Can someone give me step-by-step?  I have been backing up the Exchange server without any issues, but 1 and that's that the log files are not being truncated after the backup.

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Unless you have deleted the agent or updated BE you don't have to push out the remote agent. When you backup the Exchange Server make sure you select the Microsoft Information Store. This will backup Exchange and truncate the log. If you don't see the Information Store, them you have not enabled the Exchange agent option