cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to backup file format into tape file on Veritas Backup Exec 2016

Kimsin
Level 3

Dear all,

I really need your sharing is that I would like to backup file format into tape file on Veritas Backup Exec 2016.

Whether it is possible or not as currently I perform backup as orignal .bkf file into DISK DRIVE Storage.

Very appreciated for your sharing.

Thanks and Best regards,

Kimsin

8 REPLIES 8

Amrish_BE_PM
Level 3
Employee

@Kimsin,

Please help me understand the problem you are facing, and what is that you are trying to solve for which you need to know the backup file format.

Thanks,

Amrish

Hi Amrish,

Thanks for your response.

Currently I do backup all my data to DISK Drive as .bkf file format.

Whether it is possible to backup to DISK Drive as .tape file format or not?

Hope you understood my problem.

Very appreciated for your help.

Best regards,

Kimsin

@Kimsin

I am sorry, I still would like to understand what you are trying to achieve here, for me to be able to help you. 

For tapes we use the MTF format and this is the same we follow when we backup up to disk with few optimizations and hence we call this BKF.

Thanks,

Amrish

Hi Amrish,

Currently I don't have tape backup. But if I would like to backup to disk as MTF file format. Is it possible?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Kimsin

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hmm well BKF (backup to disk) files contain MTF however I hope you are not getting confused with .TAR format concepts whare TAR is both a tape format and a compressed file format as MTF does not really operate in the same way.

Basically Backup Exec will write to BKF (which internally does use an MTF format) but then would need a duplicate job (still in Backup Exec) to move that data from the disk file to tape. (which is how we do B2D2T/D2D2T)

Hi Colin and All,

Thanks so much for your sharing. As I know backup as tape file format ,it isnot abled to attack by Ransomware is my main purpose. If i am wrong, please help to correct me.

That's why I need your sharing regarding this even now I don't have tape backup.

Very appreciated for your sharing.

Best regards,

Kimsin

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry but any file stored on disk could be attacked by ransomware irrespective of the format used within the file

Within Backup Exec the best way to handle ransomware is to Backup to local disk or deduplication store but then duplicate to either a cloud vendor or tapes,  as data on tape or in the cloud should be secure from ransomware.

If you cannot do either of these then consider duplicating to some form of removable disk and keeping some of your disks offline (and write protected) as an offline disk cannot be attacked by ransomware either.

Dear Colin,

Very appreciated for your sharing and comments.

Best regards,

Kimsin