cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to backup local server to a remote storage location

dcraftfrombr
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I have a customer that is using Backup Exec v20 and backing up to USB drives. They do not want to use public Cloud storage like AWS or Azure. They have a remote office about 30 miles away and would like to backup to this remote office. Don't need to backup anything that resides at the remote site since the remote site uses RDP connections to logon to the home office servers. So what is the best way to do this? Create a VPN and put a NAS drive at the remote site and simply configure backup storage to it? Or should I install a Windows Server at the remote site and run a Backup Exec Agent on it? Or something else?

Is anyone else doing this and happy with the results?

Thanks.

Dale

2 REPLIES 2

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you clarify what exactly you want to achieve?

Do you want to duplicate the backup images from the primary site to the remote site? If so, you could consider deploying a Backup server there and configure backup duplication option.

--Virgil

dcraftfrombr
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I want to simply get an offsite backup of the home office server. In case of a disaster, I want to have our data stored at the remote office. I guess I could put a Backup server there and use duplication, but I don't currently have a server at the remote office, so I'm guessing that option would involve a new fileserver, Windows server OS, and another license for Backup Exec?

Another thought was to put a NAS box at the remote office, use a VPN and simply duplicate to it. I'm thinking this might work with the only expense being the NAS box. I need to backup about 600gb, so speed may be an issue.

Any other options in between?

Thanks,

Dale