cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to delete 130,000 media form retired media

carlmaschke
Not applicable

We are using Backup Exec 2010 R3 on Windows 2008 SP2 64Bit. I am trying to delete 130,000 media form retired media. The media is from an old back to disk system. Regardless if I use the backup exec console or the bkmcmd, the system hangs if I try to delete more than 50 or so media.

Is there a way to delete a large number of media without hanging the system?

3 REPLIES 3

navintah
Level 3
Employee Accredited

In my opinion, using Bemcmd would be the better option in this case.

Since you are experiencing issue when deleting more than 50 media, you may try adding pause statement in between commands. Windows 2008's command 'Timeout' can also be used (Syntax: timeout/t <TimeoutInSeconds>).

navintah
Level 3
Employee Accredited

I mean by pause is sort of sleep commands or the Timeout command mentioned above which doesn't require user intervention. Eg: After a command (or commands) for deleting 50 media there would be a "timeout/t 10" command which would pause the script (deletion) for 10 secs and then next commands would be automatically executed.

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Dear Sir:

Having so many disk media to erase, it may be recommendable to erase the real files from the disk (I assume you refer to .bkf files), and then scan and inventotry the backup to disk folder to update the change.

This may take long but at least will not hung the system.

Regards,