cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netapp File Restore using NDMP

slipmatt
Level 3
Hello,

Backing up our netapp filer over ndmp using be 2010 and all seems ok.  Trying to do a test restore of one file and the percent complete goes straight to 100% with the byte count still rising with no indictiation of the the file being restored!

Can you please advise how restores work for netapp filers using ndmp?

Thank you

Slipmatt
4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Unchecked "Restore Access Control List." and re-run the job... Wait and see if the job fails or get stuck

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
I have seen this happening before that the job status showes 100% but the restore is not complete and running ...but at the end it does complete successfully

slipmatt
Level 3
How long does it take?

I've had a single file restore running for the last 6 hours - and the file still hasn't restored?

teiva-boy
Level 6
Typically with NDMP devices, the backup application, BackupExec in this case, will send a command to do the restore, and wait for a completed status when the filer is done.

NDMP devices do not always or at all, report back in real-time what it's doing, until it's done.  The best you can do is to log on to the filer itself to see any status updates.  Until then, BE2010 is really just waiting for an update from the filer...

Think of NDMP as SCSI commands.  BE2010 can talk NDMP, telling the intelligent NAS to do something..  The NAS processes the request, then reports back on status.  During the processing, BE is just waiting for a status update in the mean time.

I'm so not a fan of NDMP in most cases, but the alternatives are pretty slim without it.